Psychic Rule Changes

Have a rules question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Artemis

Re: Psychic Rule Changes

Postby Artemis » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:54 am

mindwanders wrote:Can you use sense blow or true strike on an ally or just yourself?

Can be used on allies, as there remained some confusion I've gone through and explicitly marked the ones you can use on allies.
Artemis
Rules Ref
Rules Ref
Shane-O

Postby Ghost » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:32 pm

Psychic Powers can be gained on four occasions for a Primary Archetype Psyker or twice for a Secondary Archetype Psychic Awakened
Primary Psykers gain their first power with Empyric Attunement.
They can buy a Universal basic talent for three xp or one talent point
They can buy a Universal intermediate talent for six xp or two talent points
They can buy a Universal advanced talent for nine xp.

This is not yet reflected in the DT system. How would like to handle this in the interim?
D3-K4-RD, Executor Fetial and Lord Protector of Lady Captain Miranda Phoenix.

Also Lord Captain Mercutio Dexter (Deceased)
Ghost
Lord-Captain
Lord-Captain
Pyro

Postby Yoda » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:08 pm

The downtime system is getting updated this weekend/week to both reflect the additional talent for Psykers, and the ability to upload endeavour sheets.
- Yoda.
Do you hear the voices too?!
Yoda
Storyteller
Storyteller
Code Cultist

Postby Maakeff » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:56 am

Artemis wrote:Core Mechanic.
As standard a psyker draws three beads unless they have talents which allow them to draw more. Any psyker can deliberately open themselves to the warp for further power but must draw two beads for each additional bead equivalent, then exponentially as illustrated below
E.g. Psyker can draw three beads and has three beads worth of power.
Psyker can push her luck and go for six beads worth of power but is drawing nine beads to get to that level.
In extreme situations a psyker might want nine beads worth of power but the actual draw required would be eighteen beads.
Purchases of the Talent – Psychic Might increase this significantly.

existing rules wrote:Psychic Might (Power branch Int. 2). Your maximum push amount is increased by two.
• Upgrade: your max push is increased by an additional +2.

Given the current text of the "Psychic Might" Talent (quoted above), and how the further above update appears to imply that everyone can push with no limit to how far they can push (providing they're willing to accept the risk, of course), how does "Psychic Might" work now?
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

http://wiki.norestforthewicked.org.uk/Winter
Maakeff
Lord-Captain
Lord-Captain
Winter

Postby Maakeff » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:24 am

Artemis wrote:Psychic powers as recognised by the Scholastia Psykana fall into one of five Schools
First pick on each school gives you one power, second pick gives you three powers one of which can be an Advanced power (marked with an (A) and at the end of the powers lists)

Some powers are marked with an * as they require the first power in the list as a prerequisite.

Can a character only ever pick a School twice, and subsequent "picks" must be made in a different School?
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

http://wiki.norestforthewicked.org.uk/Winter
Maakeff
Lord-Captain
Lord-Captain
Winter

Postby Ghost » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:24 pm

Maakeff wrote:
Artemis wrote:Core Mechanic.
As standard a psyker draws three beads unless they have talents which allow them to draw more. Any psyker can deliberately open themselves to the warp for further power but must draw two beads for each additional bead equivalent, then exponentially as illustrated below
E.g. Psyker can draw three beads and has three beads worth of power.
Psyker can push her luck and go for six beads worth of power but is drawing nine beads to get to that level.
In extreme situations a psyker might want nine beads worth of power but the actual draw required would be eighteen beads.
Purchases of the Talent – Psychic Might increase this significantly.

existing rules wrote:Psychic Might (Power branch Int. 2). Your maximum push amount is increased by two.

Given the current text of the "Psychic Might" Talent (quoted above), and how the further above update appears to imply that everyone can push with no limit to how far they can push (providing they're willing to accept the risk, of course), how does "Psychic Might" work now?

Not a ref. My understanding however is that it works the same. What it does is increase the number of beads you can draw without the increased risk.

So the first level lets you draw five bead before paying double. You can then draw a further five before you start paying triple

Ghost
Lord-Captain
Lord-Captain
Pyro

Postby horzabora » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:12 pm

Ghost wrote:Not a ref. My understanding however is that it works the same. What it does is increase the number of beads you can draw without the increased risk.

So the first level lets you draw five bead before paying double. You can then draw a further five before you start paying triple

This is correct. I will amend to make this clear later.
Rob Collins
Creative Director: Conflict Resolution
Lead Storyteller: Inquisition Chronicles
Storyteller: No Rest for the Wicked
"A good soldier obeys without question. A good officer commands without doubt."
horzabora
Storyteller
Storyteller
Creative Director

Postby horzabora » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:16 pm

My apologies for making this update so late in the day, but I don't think anyone will mind.

I have updated the psychic rules to change the following elements.

The effects of red beads have been reduced to VITAL SINGLE - this may be altered pending playtest results (by which I mean, after the next game).

I have updated the negative effect for red beads to begin at -4 and run from -5 to -8 inclusive. I have also altered these effects to make them less harsh/disabling from play, but still brutal, but hopefully cool/fun to roleplay with buckets of fake blood brutal.

I have updated the negative effects for blue beads to make them less 'you can't use your powers' and more 'you struggle to control/want to use your powers'.

In both cases I have retained a brutally harsh/near fatal -4 effect. But statistically speaking I find it extremely unlikely it will effect anyone.

This is close to the wire, but I wanted to address the concerns - if you have any further concerns regarding the new effects, let me know. They are obviously meant to be punitive, but not without warrant (i.e. you've taken on too much risk).
Rob Collins
Creative Director: Conflict Resolution
Lead Storyteller: Inquisition Chronicles
Storyteller: No Rest for the Wicked
"A good soldier obeys without question. A good officer commands without doubt."
horzabora
Storyteller
Storyteller
Creative Director

Postby mindwanders » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:40 pm

On first read through I'm really liking these changes. It means people can help a psyker stave off badness through either rallies or healing. I think the new serious penalties are much more flavourful and I like the idea that psykers will end up with more corruption cards if they push their powers.

I'm really looking forward to playing with these a lot more and hope to hear how they go from some those playing psykers at Footsteps of Giants.
Gordon McDonald
Captain Bartholomew Noxof the Milady De Winter
Former Ref
google.com/+GordonMcDonald
mindwanders
Lord-Captain
Lord-Captain

Postby Ghost » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:47 pm

Rob, as one of the people who has previously expressed concern over short notice rules changes...I dont mind.

I really like the fact I now have to seriously consider which direction to spec into.

Love the new perils.

Cant wait to start setting things on fire with my brain.

Ghost
Lord-Captain
Lord-Captain
Pyro

PreviousNext

Return to Rules Questions