Vital Fatal

Have a rules question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Artemis

Vital Fatal

Postby spydacarnage » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:18 pm

Hi,

I know this is my third event, but I still don't know the rules backwards yet (for anyone who knows me, that's a shock!).

So, I just wanted to check up on the Vital Fatal call that was being thrown around on Saturday night.

I think I got confused with the bit at the start when talking about the Vital Fatal call for stepping out of the maze meaning "you just drop to -4". So, when I first got hit by the NPC, I dropped immediately, but I'm now thinking that when it wasn't being thrown with a Through call, it would have just bounced off armour? And by "bounced", I mean it does 1 point of damage to your armour-based Body hits (as a call without damage is assumed to be a Single, right?)

Also, does this mean it that it would never have affected Dexter due to his Damage Reduction (I don't know if it did affect him or not - it's just an enquiring mind wanting to know for no reason whatsoever :-p)

Cheers,
Mark
spydacarnage
Crewman
Crewman
Red

Re: Vital Fatal

Postby Lifestealer » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:33 pm

That fits my understanding - the full kill call is Through Vital Fatal with enough damage to get through damage reduction
Lifestealer
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby Ghost » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:58 pm

My understanding of the warp maze thing was that it was essentially 'go back to the start, be on your death count.'

The exact call was completely irrelevant, it was not a normal mechanic in that specific instance.

I bounced several fatal calls from the lady of pain before she started upping her damage output though. :D

I am not sure what the ruling is on effect call without damage...but i think it is assumed to be zero.

Which gets really interesting... because the two final calls that hit me had no damage atrached....but given as Kay could have appended any damage call she liked from my understanding of her stats.....I wasnt going to quibble over the dact that she basically went 'nope, you be dead now.'

Thank fuck for ranged inspire and adrenaline based sprints....
D3-K4-RD, Executor Fetial and Lord Protector of Lady Captain Miranda Phoenix.

Also Lord Captain Mercutio Dexter (Deceased)
Ghost
Lord-Captain
Lord-Captain
Pyro

Postby Yoda » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:30 pm

The exact call you would have received for falling off of the maze is "Single Through Vital Shieldbreaker Fatal", which reduces anyone it hits to -4. This was shortcutted to "Vital Fatal" at the time, and I did point out during the OOC briefing that it was actually the above call, but that may not have been heard by everyone. Since it was generally understood that falling off meant "death count at the beginning", it didn't matter so much, and we didn't have any misunderstanding issues I'm aware of.

While not specifically stated in the rules, I would back the assumption that any call of "Fatal" or "Vital" without another call attached has an attached "Single" call implicitly.
- Yoda.
Do you hear the voices too?!
Yoda
Storyteller
Storyteller
Code Cultist

Postby spydacarnage » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:30 pm

Yoda wrote:The exact call you would have received for falling off of the maze is "Single Through Vital Shieldbreaker Fatal", which reduces anyone it hits to -4. This was shortcutted to "Vital Fatal" at the time, and I did point out during the OOC briefing that it was actually the above call, but that may not have been heard by everyone. Since it was generally understood that falling off meant "death count at the beginning", it didn't matter so much, and we didn't have any misunderstanding issues I'm aware of.

While not specifically stated in the rules, I would back the assumption that any call of "Fatal" or "Vital" without another call attached has an attached "Single" call implicitly.

It wasn't the falling off bit I was talking about - I only mentioned that because it added confusion to the actual call that Kay was hitting people with. I, and a lot of other people by the looks of the carnage left in her wake, assumed that stepping off teleported you back to the start, but her death touch just dropped you where you stood.

So, the question was about her call of "Vital Fatal", not the insta-death coming from stepping off the side.

Mark
spydacarnage
Crewman
Crewman
Red

Postby Yoda » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:05 am

In that case, again assume that a call of Single was attached, but no implicit Shieldbreaker or Through.
- Yoda.
Yoda
Storyteller
Storyteller
Code Cultist

Postby Lifestealer » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:09 pm

If there isn't the single attached, there is meant to be the "no effect" added, isn't there? Eg if using a flamer with range 1 only, you call "flame no effect" as you have to have the "flame" call as an essential aspect, but not enough skill for any damage attached.
Lifestealer
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby Yoda » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:15 pm

That would be a case of "No Damage", not "No Effect".

Where a plot effect is throwing a call at you, things can get hazier. These were not weapon calls, but manifestation effects, and may have been shortcutted for dramatic purpose.

After the fact, I cannot answer questions about what the intentions of the particular call were. Given that many people don't know all of our calls, I think it's reasonable to assume that mistakes were made on both sides.
- Yoda.
Yoda
Storyteller
Storyteller
Code Cultist

Postby spydacarnage » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:40 pm

Yoda wrote:Given that many people don't know all of our calls, I think it's reasonable to assume that mistakes were made on both sides.

And this is why I'm asking, to try and improve my knowledge :-)
spydacarnage
Crewman
Crewman
Red

Return to Rules Questions