Keywords

Have a rules question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Artemis

Keywords

Postby Yoda » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:36 pm

There are certain keywords which can be applied to endeavours to affect the outcome or enhance the utility of certain assets. Some of these are described below. In order to apply these to an endeavour, state you are doing so, and apply the modifiers as appropriate. Modifiers are additive, so if you're applying two 10% modifiers, it's 20% total.

Covert: Covert endeavours are done discretely, preferably without anyone noticing it even happened. Both cost and difficulty are increased by 10%, but certain assets are better able to apply their abilities as a consequence. Use of inappropriate actions or assets may result in storytelling repercussions. Cannot be used with Conspiracy, Vigil, War, or Total War.

Conspiracy: Based on whispers and secrets, these endeavours happen well below the public eye. Both cost and difficulty are increased by 20%, but certain assets are better able to apply their abilities as a consequence. Use of inappropriate actions or assets may result in storytelling repercussions. Some assets may not be used, including standard military units. Cannot be used with Covert, Guard, War, or Total War.

War: Assaulting the enemy head on in a full battlefield engagement. Difficulty is increased by 10%, but certain assets are better able to apply their abilities as a consequence. Use of inappropriate assets may result in mechanical consequences. Cannot be used with Covert, Conspiracy, Guard, Vigil, or Total War. Can be used with Raid, but doing so reduces the rewards by 50%. Can only be used on Destroy Endeavours.

Total War: A full-on assault against the enemy, leaving nothing standing. Difficulty is increased by 20%, but certain assets are better able to apply their abilities as a consequence. Use of inappropriate assets will result in mechanical consequences. Cannot be used with Covert, Conspiracy, Raid, Guard, Vigil, or War. Can only be used on Destroy Endeavours.

Raid: Kicking in the door and looting the room. Difficulty increased by 20%. Returns 100% of base difficulty in goods, of which 50% can be broadly specified. Reduced narrative destruction as a consequence of pillaging. Cannot be used with Conspiracy, Guard, or Total War. Can only be used on Destroy Endeavours.

Guard: Posting troops to watch after your physical assets. Applies 150% of difficulty against actions targeting guarded assets. Returns 90% of cost if not utilised. Cannot be used with Conspiracy, Raid, Vigil, War, or Total War. Can only be used on Destroy Endeavours.

Vigil: Counter-spies and influence bolstering to protect your intangible assets. Applies 150% of difficulty against targeting guarded assets. Returns 90% of cost if not utilised. Cannot be used with Covert, Raid, Guard, War, or Total War. Can only be used on Convert endeavours.

Void: Operations in deep-space. Difficulty increased by 15%, Cost increased by 20%. Requires a voidship asset to be applied. Increases outcome of Obtain endeavours by an additional 20%.

Beyond the Line: Operations beyond Imperial space. Difficulty increased by 15%, Cost increased by 20%. Must be used with the Void keyword. Increases outcome of Obtain endeavours by an additional 20%.

Numbers are subject to change, though are in effect as above for the pre-Dark Deeds downtime period.
- Yoda.
Do you hear the voices too?!
Yoda
Storyteller
Storyteller
Code Cultist

Re: Keywords

Postby Hazel » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:01 pm

Vigil: Counter-spies and influence bolstering to protect your intangible assets. Applies 150% of difficulty against targeting guarded assets. Returns 90% of cost if not utilised. Cannot be used with Covert, Raid, Guard, War, or Total War. Can only be used on Covert endeavours.

Should that be "Can only be used on CoNvert endeavours"?

EDIT: Also, for Guard and Vigil actions, can I put all my Vigil requirements into one endeavour for simplicity's sake? If so, how do I assign the points to assets? Do I list my assets in order of preference, or assign a portion of the total to each one?
Lord-Captain Freya Tryskellan
Dedicated Follower of Fashio- ahem, of the Emperor
Hazel
Captain
Captain

Postby Hazel » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:50 pm

Also, from the thread a couple of weeks ago that originally introduced the raid/vigil/guard actions, it says the Covert keyword:
"Increase Difficulty by 10%. The Cost remains the same." In this post it says cost also goes up 10%. can you confirm which is correct?

Thanks!
Hazel
Captain
Captain

Postby Yoda » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:22 am

Autocorrect doesn't work on words that are spelled correctly! Yes, it should be convert and I have edited it.

The costs and difficulties I have listed here are the ones we used last downtime cycle which I intend to carry over to this one. One of the problems we've had is a lack of consistency from not writing this stuff down which is why I've now written it down. This thread is intended as a summary but is definitive.

I don't see a reason why you can't sort out all of your Vigils in one endeavour. We're still feeling this out so I don't have an answer to your query at the moment.
- Yoda.
Yoda
Storyteller
Storyteller
Code Cultist

Postby Hazel » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:27 pm

Great, thanks!
Hazel
Captain
Captain

Postby Yoda » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:48 pm

Preliminary thoughts are that we like simplicity and thus combined endeavours for all covered assets are preferred. Adding into that, applying any assigned assets to be used in reaction to attacks as appropriate seems like the simplest thing to do on both sides. Please do assign priorities to assets if you don't want us to choose, and you can include conditionals like "if the top priority item can't be defended adequately, prioritise defense elsewhere" (otherwise known as "abandon lost causes") though it's possible I may regret saying that in a few weeks.

This could still get quite complicated quite quickly, but I would prefer to run it as an abstract scenario where we can pretend that all your protected assets and all your protecting assets are in the same place and they can be assigned to defend as appropriate.

That said, on a combined endeavour if any of the defensive forces are engaged, then they will all count as having engaged for the purposes of the utilisation refund. In other words, if you want to maximise your cost refund, it pays to have multiple endeavours, but if you want to maximise defensive capabilities, it pays to have a single one.
- Yoda.
Yoda
Storyteller
Storyteller
Code Cultist

Postby theresponsibleone » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:29 pm

So, is the purpose of Hidden assets that they can take an action without having to use the Covert or Conspiracy keyword and remain hidden?
theresponsibleone
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:52 pm

The Hidden keyword means that no matter what kind of endeavour they're involved in, their use doesn't make the news. Obviously this is most often paired with Covert or Conspiracy endeavours, but it could be used in just about any type of endeavour. A Covert or Conspiracy endeavour may still end up being talked about in certain circles ("Did you hear about that assassination up at the Ruthadels? Do you think it's a coincidence that those rogue traders left town afterwards?" while a hidden asset's use wouldn't be without significant investigation ("Did you hear about the assassination up at the Ruthadels? I heard they don't have any leads on it.").
- Yoda.
Yoda
Storyteller
Storyteller
Code Cultist

Return to Rules Questions