Titles

Have a rules question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Artemis

Titles

Postby Yoda » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:36 am

In my continuing series of clarifications, moving onto titles.

Can you have multiple titles? Yes, you can. We tend to advise some restraint in this and to be sensible in choices. For instance, you can't hold two ranks in the Imperial Guard, and while you could hold rank in both the Guard and the Navy that may cause issues when they decide they need you in two different places. Conflicting loyalties and duties can and will be used against you.

What does my trait do? Some of these are clearer than others, and some don't have easy answers. A quick summary below:
  • Access: Lets you into places you wouldn't otherwise be able to get into. This is mostly useful in downtime narratives for establishing where exactly you borrowed that Rhino from
  • Levy: This represents outside funding that bolsters your unit. For instance, if you're in the Imperial Guard, the Imperial Guard pays for half your units' upkeep. Why half? Because you're not supposed to be using your Guard units for private affairs.
  • Beholden: You work for someone, and sometimes what they need you to do is more important than having fun with rogue traders. Ignoring them can have consequences.
  • Assigned: You and your unit have been assigned to a particular planet, area of space, or otherwise. Permanently relocating would not be wise.
  • Above the Law: Within Imperial space, Inquisitors and their retinues can act at their own discretion without interference from local lawkeepers. This isn't to say they can get away with anything but they can definitely get away with murder. Rogue Traders are safe from sanction where it regards their warrant of trade - this lets them break the law in specific circumstances like selling xenos goods.
  • Freeform Asset: This can be just about anything you want that suits the title. Talk to the storytellers for more info.
  • Requisition: This lets you borrow one perk from another title. You get to pick which title and which perk you get, and can do so differently each downtime but you do only get to use one perk so it's not as useful as actually having the title. One perk is defined as one column entry in the Assets and Titles sheet.
  • Asset Requisition (Planet): This lets planetary governors "borrow" resources from their planet. They should be appropriate to the planet, but can be anything from food to a PDF regiment.
  • Correspondent: This lets you get news and rumours each downtime cycle. Please put your correspondents in your downtime under Other Actions to remind the storytellers. You also get access to the relevant forum if one exists.
  • Favourable Trade Rates: Pick a trade good, pick whether buying or selling. You get better trades on that good for that means of trade for life (or as long as you have this trait).
  • Upkeep: From your second downtime onwards, you need to pay the upkeep on any titles you own. This will either be IP or WU, and paying it just requires a note in your downtime (and having the funds).
  • Trade Details: You get a list of numbers representing the supply, demand, and illegality of goods in the trade sector you select when gaining the title. You only get details of one sector per instance of this trait. Contact the storytellers to get the factor sheet.

How do Mercenary titles work? Mercenary titles work the same way as military titles do except you don't have the support of the military so you have to pay for everything yourself. The military doesn't tell you where to go anymore, but you don't get a free dinner any more either. Essentially, you have to pay the full upkeep for any units you have.
- Yoda.
Do you hear the voices too?!
Yoda
Storyteller
Storyteller
Code Cultist

Re: Titles

Postby Bear » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:59 am

Two questions:

- Favourable Trade Rates: You choose trade good and buying/selling as a permanent choice when you get a Title (or Asset) that gives you a Favourable Trade Rate?

- Mercenary titles: If I get, say, a Mercenary Commodore title (for example's sake), I'd get the Frigate 100MP x3, 120 points of Navy influence and the Imperial Navy correspondence, but not Beholden, Assigned or Levy traits?
Also, Mercenary can only be taken for Imperial Guard or Imperial Navy titles, right?
Bear
Captain
Captain
Lord Gavrillius Angstrom

Postby Yoda » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:31 am

Mercenary: Yes, that's it exactly.

Favourable Trade Rates: This may be open to some discussion, as I'm not sure that we have applied the same system universally across everyone who has it and I would like to ensure that everyone is using a fair and equal system for it. But yes, it is my opinion as the person currently running downtimes and the trade system that that is exactly how it works.
- Yoda.
Yoda
Storyteller
Storyteller
Code Cultist

Postby spydacarnage » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:12 pm

Hmmm, I wasn't aware I still got the Correspondence for my Mercenary title - I should start using that...
spydacarnage
Crewman
Crewman
Red

Postby nadriel » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:17 pm

Sorry, just realised I get Requisition in my Temple Assassin title- what is a perk for the purposes of borrowing? And if you haven't put it into a downtime, is it not usable?
nadriel
Captain
Captain
Officio Assassinorum

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:19 pm

Mark: Yep, that I can get to you if you let me know details.

Mike: If you haven't used it, you haven't used it. Temple Assassin does not give Requisition, it gives "Equipment 1" which allows you to use the Seneschal "Supply Cache" talent as if you had it once per event for appropriate equipment only.
- Yoda.
Yoda
Storyteller
Storyteller
Code Cultist

Postby Bear » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:00 pm

All right...our Favourable Trade Rates stem from before the new trade system, so we'd have to determine where they go in the future, then.
For the purposes of FTR, do you pick a basic one, like "Animal Meat", and that also applies to Xenos and Archaeotech versions (no, don't ask me how Archaeotech Animal Meat works...it's Archaeotech) since they are just modifiers to the core resource, or would I have to pick Xenos Animal Meat, which is separate from 'normal' Animal Meat or Archaeotech Animal Meat?
Bear
Captain
Captain
Lord Gavrillius Angstrom

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:59 pm

I also don't know how Archeotech Animal Meat works. I'd say that it was in a can, but that'd be Archeotech Processed Food instead.

I want to eliminate "Favourable Trade Rate (Archeotech)" as being a thing because Archeotech is no longer a trade good but a modifier to trade goods, which would make it far too good for what it is. However, Archeotech Agri-Tech and normal Agri-Tech are both still Agri-tech so I would say that Favourable Trade Rates (Agri-tech) would work on both. It's the good that's important, not the modifier.
- Yoda.
Yoda
Storyteller
Storyteller
Code Cultist

Postby spydacarnage » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:27 am

Yoda wrote:Mark: Yep, that I can get to you if you let me know details.

Thanks - I've emailed the ST account :-)
spydacarnage
Crewman
Crewman
Red

Postby theresponsibleone » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:13 am

Yoda wrote:Can you have multiple titles? Yes, you can. We tend to advise some restraint in this and to be sensible in choices. For instance, you can't hold two ranks in the Imperial Guard, and while you could hold rank in both the Guard and the Navy that may cause issues when they decide they need you in two different places. Conflicting loyalties and duties can and will be used against you.

Are we still using the canon situation that there are consequences for an individual with a Governor or Imperial Guard title having a Void asset (usually consequences of an Officio Assassinorum variety)? Traditional canon states it isn't permitted to prevent rebellions and to ensure separation of powers in the aftermath of the Horus Heresy.
theresponsibleone
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Next

Return to Rules Questions