Archeotech Chainsword

Have a rules question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Artemis

Archeotech Chainsword

Postby Simriel » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:11 pm

I have a weapon which I was told at the event was 'Archotech' but does not have an Archotech effect, would it be possible to do an endevour etc to unlock it's true potential or something of that type?
Simriel
Midshipman
Midshipman
Commissar Tomas Rexuz

Re: Equipment

Postby Yoda » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:22 pm

Not without knowing specifics - you can't just say "someone said this was archeotech" and expect us to know what you're talking about or whether it's true. I don't know what item you're talking about, where you got it, who said that...

"Broken" archeotech gear often functions at a similar level to Imperial-level gear, and if fixed can theoretically be restored to its full strength. That said, not all archeotech is actually better than Imperial gear.
- Yoda.
Do you hear the voices too?!
Yoda
Storyteller
Storyteller
Code Cultist

Postby Simriel » Thu May 19, 2016 2:17 pm

The item is a chainsword won in a duel at the telemanch game. I asked one of the event runners, Steve I believe and was told it was archotech like all their gear. I was wondering if something could be done to 'repair' it as you said and give it the +1 damage boost option.
Simriel
Midshipman
Midshipman
Commissar Tomas Rexuz

Postby SteveC » Thu May 19, 2016 2:56 pm

Speaking with my event writer hat on stuff from Telemanch that was just general gear that could be picked up was archeotech for the purpose of trade good qualities if you scooped up enough of it to cash in as unit of trade goods rather than being + damage, or special call weapons. Of course if the STs take the view that it could form the basis of an endeavour to get an individual weapon from the parts being combined or repaired that's up to them.
Lord Captain Avonis Gul Holtz-Hastreme
Quis est iste qui venit

Steve Clapton
SteveC
Admiral
Admiral
Lord Captain Hastreme

Postby Simriel » Fri May 20, 2016 1:26 pm

Yeah. I don't want discounts or anything so to speak, it just means rather than cashing in my existing chainsword and buying another I can do something more thematically cool with it.
Simriel
Midshipman
Midshipman
Commissar Tomas Rexuz

Re: Archeotech Chainsword

Postby Yoda » Fri May 20, 2016 2:27 pm

Well, there were no real archeotech weapons available from that encounter. They were archeotech trade goods which are an entirely different kettle of fish.

You may, as anyone can, do an Obtain endeavour to get an Archeotech Chainsword in downtime if that's what you'd like to do.
- Yoda.
Yoda
Storyteller
Storyteller
Code Cultist

Postby Darth Fanboy » Sat May 21, 2016 1:29 pm

As an alternative, declare that your chainsword is just generally more swish, with no mechanical effect. The Kanites are supplied with archaeotech bolt pistols on the same logic.
Accursed be the Machine cast not in the Crucible of Faith.
- Catechism of the Autoculus of Mars
Darth Fanboy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Archmagos Solomon Kleist

Postby Simriel » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:07 pm

As an addition to this, if you do an obtain for an archeotech weapon with an imperial effect as well do you pay value x4 in cost for all or do you pay 4x value for the archeotech and add the imperial effect on top of it?
Simriel
Midshipman
Midshipman
Commissar Tomas Rexuz

Postby Yoda » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:02 pm

I don't even understand the question, if I'm honest.

If you're doing an Obtain endeavour, there is no delineation between "Imperial" effects and "Archeotech" effects. You do an Obtain endeavour for an item or items which are valued at their cost. You can't have an Archeotech weapon with Imperial effects because the Imperial/Archeotech part of the Equipment sheet only tells you what the minimum tech-level for the effect is - it's not a restriction on what that item can have.

To illustrate the point, you can have a +1 Permanent Damage Chainsword with 1 Knockdown per combat. The +1 Permanent Damage is Archeotech, and the 1 Knockdown per combat is Imperial. That'll cost 400 to Obtain with 1600 Difficulty. But the fact that one effect is Archeotech and the other is Imperial doesn't matter. It's an Archeotech weapon because one effect is Archeotech - that doesn't mean that all effects must be Archeotech.

Likewise, you can't upgrade an Imperial weapon to be Archeotech, or upgrade an Archeotech weapon with Imperial fittings. When you get an "upgraded" weapon, you're really exchanging one for the other most of the time as that type of upgrade just isn't really possible within canon.
- Yoda.
Yoda
Storyteller
Storyteller
Code Cultist

Postby Yoda » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:43 pm

Further to this, having just been reminded, Archeotech items are much more expensive to Obtain, but either way you do it, you need to spec up *what you want* before you can calculate endeavour costs and you have to do it all at once - you can't tack something on later, and you can't purchase the Imperial part then Obtain the Archeotech part.
- Yoda.
Yoda
Storyteller
Storyteller
Code Cultist

Return to Rules Questions