Custom Fluff

Have a rules question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Artemis

Custom Fluff

Postby Jodikat » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:14 pm

I'm thinking from how No Rest seems to work that this is probably fine but I just thought I'd make sure.

Are we down with fluff differences in how powers work for different people?

The particular thing that occurred to me is it just felt 'right' to me that when Spider (primary Biomancer) uses the Divination power Preternatural Awareness to increase someone's Awareness, she's like Biomantically improving their senses by manipulating their body, rather than Divinationally imbuing them with some sort of second sight. Obviously mechanically it's a Divination power and no mechanics change, it's just a fluff thing.

Similar ideas:
Chameleon is actually Telepathically making people ignore your presence instead of Biomancily making you stealthier

A person with Over The Top and Telekinesis powers is actually using TK to deflect bullets when they do Over The Top

A Mechanicus with This One Is Mine has that special link to their weapon because of the deep rapport between him and the weapon's machine spirit

A fire-using Psyker gets the Warp Lightening backlash effect, but it's Warp Flames instead and they damage people they touch because their skin is burning hot.

So basically just fluff that explains how you do the things you do in a way that's unique to your character and thematically fitting with their other abilities.
Major D. Summers, Captain of the Mortimer Dynasty Guard
Callsign: SPIDER
Jodikat
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
SPIDER

Re: Custom Fluff

Postby Jodikat » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:53 pm

Additional thing/idea: freeform tiny rp-effect only uses of your powers.

Like, I have seen Psykers go, 'hey check this out' and doing 'I make a crackle of warp lightening around my fist' and that's just an rp effect and it's flavourful and it's fine.

But maybe it's the autist in me, but I feel like I'm not sure where the line is and I would want to get confirmation before I do it. I'm talking about little things like:

Elementalist lights someone's lho stick with a tiny flame from his hand

Biomancer eases the pain signals and stress hormones in a willing patient to make medical care less unpleasant

Diviner cheats at a game of chance (obviously, if it was a plot-related or win-a-real-thing game of chance, you'd need to use an actual power, but when it's purely an RP thing)

Telepathy allows two people to speak silently inside their heads, which they could represent as if they were speaking a language no one else understands

I mean, TK already has Precision TK and it does the TK equivalent of this stuff, but also mechanically-relevant things like carrying large objects, setting off mines from a distance, floating over obstacles, etc. Basically what I'm looking at is fluff only things, with purely RP effects, that it would make sense for a person with those powers to be able to do but it isn't in the rules anywhere.
Major D. Summers, Captain of the Mortimer Dynasty Guard
Callsign: SPIDER
Jodikat
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
SPIDER

Return to Rules Questions