Item that feels like it should exist

Have a rules question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Artemis

Item that feels like it should exist

Postby Jodikat » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:10 pm

By which I mean, it feels like people in-universe would have come up with such a device - I don't know how well it would fit into the game.

But a basic item that's like a heart monitor or maybe somehow bionic that, when the person it is attached to starts bleeding to death, broadcasts their status and location. In-world, it would probably send a signal to devices carried by medics so as not to also alert enemies, but I think for simplicity's sake just make it be a general signal or sound.

The downed player represents the use of this item by making a standard call such as 'MEDIC ALERT' repeatedly until care arrives or the character is dead. PCs can turn it off for stealth missions if they would IC rather bleed to death than blow the mission.

But yeah, basically an invention to bring medics to someone who has passed out and is unable to call for help, by issuing an alarm when their vital signs show they need it.
Major D. Summers, Captain of the Mortimer Dynasty Guard
Callsign: SPIDER
Jodikat
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
SPIDER

Re: Item that feels like it should exist

Postby Ghost » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:33 pm

Find a friendly text priest and get them to fabricate one.
D3-K4-RD, Executor Fetial and Lord Protector of Lady Captain Miranda Phoenix.

Also Lord Captain Mercutio Dexter (Deceased)
Ghost
Lord-Captain
Lord-Captain
Pyro

Postby Kat » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:45 am

How would you phys rep that?

Kat
OOC: Kat Reid
Kat
Captain
Captain
Marshall E. Smith-Mortimer, Arch-Reaver Teach

Postby Jodikat » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:35 pm

So as for the physical phys rep it would be some kinda device that's in a position to collect medical data, so maybe you wear it on your wrist at the pulse point or strapped over your heart so it can collect medical signals to know when to go off. It would look like some kind of small sciencey device, maybe with a big red cross on it or whatever is the Imperial equivalent of that.

Then when it does go off, you the player represent the effect by shouting something like 'MEDIC ALERT' repeatedly while you lie there bleeding out. Other players can then hear you shouting, which means they've picked up the signal and can choose to follow your voice to find you and provide medical care.

You represent having turned it off for a stealth mission by not shouting, of course. And I think we'll all agree that unless somebody comes up with a complicated variant the alarm breaks any stealth so it does carry the risk of crew hearing it and coming to finish you off.

In terms of what you shout it would be good for us to agree on a standard thing so people know 'Oh, that's the sound of a medic alert device'. The things I initially thought of were 'medic alert' and 'man down' but obviously can't use the latter because we already use that to mean 'somebody is OOC hurt'.
Major D. Summers, Captain of the Mortimer Dynasty Guard
Callsign: SPIDER
Jodikat
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
SPIDER

Postby Caboose2605 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:27 am

I do have a deadman switch strobe torch for those real dark stealth missions which flashes if I prime it and lift the switch, but for obvious reasons I haven't used it, as I'm sure the gribblies would have seen the flashing light and thought birthday cake..!
It's not a terrible idea mind, as I've nearly bled to death in the middle of a group of players because I've been stealthily unconscious so... risk reward and all that.
Player: Fraser Ramsay
Character: Ghost NC1161625

"Strive to challenge yourself. Challenge your mind, your faith and your drive. Only then can you achieve what I am born to achieve."
Caboose2605
Captain
Captain
Tryskellan Dynasty Scout

Postby Yoda » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:57 pm

Personally, I'm all for people bleeding out in the dark. Can't count the number of times I've almost bled to death two feet from my mates because they couldn't find me.

If you want to be easy to find in the dark, wear bright colours.
If you want to be stealthy, wear dark (not black) colours and break them up if you can.

Not dying in the dark and being stealthy don't mix well.

This sort of thing would seem to invite all the monsters to go to where the noise is so that they can pick off the people trying to rescue the person. And I say that as the person who would tell the monsters to investigate such sounds so they meet any rescuers along the way.

Now, I'm not speaking as a ref here because I'm espousing personal opinion. But Imperial tech is notoriously bad at on/off switches. No one knows how tech works properly, so you can't just switch it off. Sure you could decide before a mission to have it switched off but in the field? That things going to be blaring until someone has the time to fix you up properly. And that means you've just become monster-bait.

I don't like this sort of thing. It's not very thematic and I like people getting left behind - it adds to drama.

Also, given the choice between a device that screams "come find me monsters!" and a bionic heart, I'll pick the bionic heart every time.
- Yoda.
Do you hear the voices too?!
Yoda
Storyteller
Storyteller
Code Cultist

Return to Rules Questions