Regrets

Somewhere to post stories, journals, and other fiction based on No Rest for the Wicked.

Regrets

Postby Snarfeh » Wed May 31, 2017 6:21 pm

*clack* the well oiled bolt slides back.

There’s an ol' sayin’ from back home: “Regret will hang a man as sure as any noose
Ah've found that ol' sayin's tend to come true. Hells, if they didn’t, then folks would just plain stop sayin’ them.
Well, this particular sayin’ holds true for me. Ah've carried my regrets around my neck for a long time. The regrets name was Tessa
There’s only a couple of things that us Corvusites treasure above all. The gun in our hands, the hat on our head, and most important of them all; the bullet around our necks.
It’s a leftover from the ol' days. A sign of trust given between lovers, that they’ll do the right thing if the raiders take ‘em. To give bullets is as good as being married

*shuck* the bullet enters the chamber with ease

Ah can always trust Lucius to call out mah grox-shit.
He points at the bullet around my neck “y’all shouldn’t still be wearing that if y’all have given one to Freya”
That hits me like a big-bore slug. Ah swallow hard. Realisation happens. Ah told Tryskellan when I gave her a bullet that ah didn’t expect one back. But if she did, ah couldn’t wear two. Just wouldn’t seem right.
Then ah say the words ah never though ah'd utter: “Lucius, hand me yer rifle”

*clunk* the bolt slams home.

Tryskellan has concern in her eyes as she sees me approach with a rifle.
“Ah've been unkind. Ah've been wearing something that’s stopping me being completely yours. Ah’ve got to stop living in the past”
Her eyes widen slightly as ah take off the bullet. Somethin’ she’s never seen before. She speaks quietly “You know that I would never ask you to do this. Do this for yourself, not just for me”
Ah nod, for once lost for words. I heft the rifle to my shoulder.
“No regrets.” Ah whisper

*bang*
Lord Aurelius Hark

OOC- James Watson
Snarfeh
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Lord Aurelius Hark

Return to Fiction & Journals