Leader

Discussions pertinent to the rules rewrite

Moderator: Artemis

Leader

Postby Yoda » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:05 pm

Master and Commander
You gain an effective +1 to Leadership, Intimidate and Politics. This may grant you an effective level above Advanced at character creation, but may not raise your effective level above Epic.

Basic
Charge!
Once per combat, you may call Stun Range on while charging towards a target
  • Upgrade: After making your call, you are immune to Fear for 30 seconds.
  • Upgrade: You may now use this talent three times per combat
Was:
Charge!
Once per combat, you may call Stun on your first strike after charging towards a target
  • Upgrade: You may now call Stun Range while charging towards your target instead

It’s Just a Flesh Wound
Once per combat, you may call Inspire 4 Touch.
  • Upgrade: You may now call Inspire 4 Range instead

Branch 1 – Intermediate
On Your Feet, Soldier
Once per combat, you may call Inspire 8 Touch.
  • Upgrade: You may now call Inspire 8 Range instead
Lead by Example
Once per downtime, as a Free Action, you may designate another player. That player may use one of your trade & influence skills as if they possessed your rating in the skill. Rating does not include equipment bonuses.
  • Upgrade: The designated player may use one of your exploration skills as if they possessed your rating instead
  • Upgrade: You may now use this talent three times per downtime

Branch 2 – Intermediate
The Line Must Be Drawn Here
Once per combat, you may call Mass Rally <Players> or Mass Fear <Crew>
  • Upgrade: You may now call Global Rally <Players> or Flame Fear <Crew> instead
Was:
[*]Upgrade: You may now call Global Rally <Players> or Global Fear <Crew> instead

Friends Everywhere
Once per downtime, you may use an Influence action in any organisation (even one in which you not possess any Influence) at a cost of 200% the "additional action" cost for that organisation. This is a Significant Influence action.
  • Upgrade: The cost is now 150% the "additional action" cost instead of 200%
  • Upgrade: You may now use this talent twice per downtime.

Branch 1 – Advanced
Back on Your Feet, Lads
Three times per day, you may call Mass Inspire 8 <Players>.
  • Upgrade: You may now call Global Inspire 8 <Players> instead
Friends in High Places
Gain 120 extra Influence points for free each downtime period.
  • Upgrade: You now gain 240 instead
Was:
Friends in High Places
Get 20 extra Influence points for every rank you possess in the Politics skill to spend in each downtime period. These points do not carry over after the downtime period has ended.
  • Upgrade: You now gain 30 extra Influence points for every rank in Politics instead

Branch 2 – Advanced
Rally to Me
Three times per day, you may call Rally Banner <Players>
  • Upgrade: You may now call Rally Banner <Players> Global instead
Aura of Fear
Three times per day, you may call Fear Banner <Crew>
  • Upgrade: You may now call Fear Banner <Crew> Global instead
- Yoda.
Do you hear the voices too?!
Yoda
Storyteller
Storyteller
Code Cultist

Re: Leader

Postby Yoda » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:05 pm

We were overall fairly happy with Leader as it was. If someone can come up with decent names for the branches, that'd be awesome.
- Yoda.
Yoda
Storyteller
Storyteller
Code Cultist

Postby Hazel » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:36 am

The only bit I can tell you've changed that I actually have is 'charge'. I preferred it the old way, I think. I can't use it to close on someone who has a ranged weapon without getting shot to bits on the way, *and* I have to land a blow before it works, rather than them being stunned to make the start of the fight easier.

It also feels clunky in terms of what it represents IC. The enemy is no longer stunned by my brave/scary/idiotic charge, they remain calm and collected throughout, until I get there and hit them in combat (which might take a while, as they're not stunned, so they're fighting back...)

Don't get me wrong, I don't think this has a massive impact on my game, and if it's been down powered to make up for other changes in the rules or something then fair enough, I don't really know the first thing about achieving game balance. And of course, I'm biased (As a friend of mine says, "Dear ref: paper's fine, rock need nerfing. Sincerely, scissors."). But if it was just changed for its own sake, my preference would be to have it changed back.
Lord-Captain Freya Tryskellan
Dedicated Follower of Fashio- ahem, of the Emperor
Hazel
Captain
Captain

Postby hofoengenar » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:50 am

The problem with charge before was that there was no way to resist it. It had been defined as not being a hit, so shields and everything else that stopped calls effecting you didn't work on it. That made it incredibly powerful, especially for a Basic talent.

How about it doing a ranged call of basically zero stun? That way you don't need to get your hit in so it still has the fun RP, but it doesn't just ignore every defence
Slice
Captain in the Pitbulls.
Definitely not a doctor.
hofoengenar
Marshall
Marshall
Slice

Postby Hazel » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:04 am

Ah, I see. I had assumed the reason it was so powerful was that your character has to do something foolish and dangerous in order to activate it. How about letting people with high levels of integrity resist it, or something? Having it bounce off of shields doesn't really make much sense either. I can see not wanting big bad boss monsters to be stunned by a daft woman in a frock coat, but (at the last big fight, at least) it felt like a significant proportion of the monsters had shields. As the 'charge' ability will usually be used on far away (and thus unhurt) monsters, that would have meant it would have worked on very few people.
Lord-Captain Freya Tryskellan
Dedicated Follower of Fashio- ahem, of the Emperor
Hazel
Captain
Captain

Postby Ghost » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:47 am

I have to say I agree with Hazel. If you combine it with the Arch Militant Minor talent it becomes useful, but the idea of having to land a blow/the call being resisted by shields seems contrary to the archetype.

Far better, I feel, to limit the uses per combat regardless of upgrade, or to grant a resist based on sufficent integrity.
D3-K4-RD, Executor Fetial and Lord Protector of Lady Captain Miranda Phoenix.

Also Lord Captain Mercutio Dexter (Deceased)
Ghost
Lord-Captain
Lord-Captain
Pyro

Postby Artemis » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:30 pm

Charge feels a bit too similar to Over the Top and OtT feels much better.
Since this archetype is about leading maybe having the leader able to spread the effect over a group of people who charge rather than just themselves? Then an upgrade could be to have more mates included in the charge.
Artemis
Rules Ref
Rules Ref
Shane-O

Postby hofoengenar » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:34 pm

Maybe something like on the basic the leader must spend the vitality for each person themselves, and one of the add ons is that the people included can use their own vitality instead
Slice
Captain in the Pitbulls.
Definitely not a doctor.
hofoengenar
Marshall
Marshall
Slice

Postby Yoda » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:59 pm

We modified the Charge talent because we changed the rules on range. I think you're right though - it's not the talent it should be
How does this proposal sound?

Charge!
As currently but Stun Range.
- change range Upgrade to: After making the Stun call using this talent, you are immune to Fear calls for 30 seconds

Doing this on my phone makes it more awkward
- Yoda.
Yoda
Storyteller
Storyteller
Code Cultist

Postby Andrew » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:06 pm

Reluctant to have the ability spread across multiple people as that puts a lot more Stun into the game and stun is already a very powerful call to be able to make.
Andrew
Storyteller
Storyteller
Isaac Flint

Next

Return to Rules 2.0 Rewrites