Navigator

Discussions pertinent to the rules rewrite

Moderator: Artemis

Re: Navigator

Postby Sparks » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:11 pm

You're probably right gordon. How about Flat immune fear, use integrity against terror, and the upgrade as is?
Sparks
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Cpt. Cassius Gilbear

Postby Sparks » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:13 pm

Or, we could add a mass call to the lidless stare. Thet'd be pretty gross when you stack it up. Advances to allow more/day etc.
Sparks
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Cpt. Cassius Gilbear

Postby mindwanders » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:07 pm

How about Flat immune fear, use integrity against terror, and the upgrade as is?

Considering how few uses of Terror I'd expect to have floating about, that's pretty much immunity to terror by the time you have Integrity 4. The upgrade would probably never come into play.

Or, we could add a mass call to the lidless stare.

Kat Reid suggested Mass as well. The problem with a Mass call on Lidless stare is that we haven't found a workable way to call Ranged Mass outside of grenades. Would Mass around you be enough of an upgrade from the Flame effect that's already there?

There's also the issue that it's meant to be an effect of staring into the navigator's eyes. That doesn't feel like a mass call.

One possibility is simply to have it be an extra power slot.

That's only as good as the power you can get with it and already duplicates the universal tree.

How about:

Dangerous Bargain
You tap the flow of the warp to a dangerous extent in order to gain more energy.
You may use any Navigator Power or Ability possess, even if you have already used all your uses for the day/combat. You gain a green corruption card for each use of this power.
  • Upgrade: You may use this power on non-navigator abilities you possess (but not powers or equipment).
Gordon McDonald
Captain Bartholomew Noxof the Milady De Winter
Former Ref
google.com/+GordonMcDonald
mindwanders
Lord-Captain
Lord-Captain

Postby Yoda » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:29 pm

Mass on Lidless Stare isn't terribly thematic. It's an effect produced from people looking into your Third Eye - it's not conducive to an "everywhere around you" effect.

Something I toyed with was a Mass Stun effect (taking a different Navigator power as the basis where everyone in your vicinity is drawn to look into your Third Eye), but I think that's better achieved through a power rather than a talent.

I dislike fear and terror immunity. There's nothing particularly nascent about Navigators that inures them to fear - even Navigators can be afraid of the warp, after all. It doesn't particularly seem in keeping with the thematic of the Navigator or the effects we want to have in the game.

A push for power, but gain corruption ability seems interesting. Bit at odds with it due to the lack of Powers that Navigators get, but it could work.

The advantage of the extra power slot is exactly that it duplicates the Universal branch. Remembering that the Universal branch breaks the rules on "only one Advanced talent", it means that Navigators could have 4 Powers (including Lidless Stare) instead of 3. That could be an advantage. The Navigator Powers still need worked on, so how good that would be is up in the air.
- Yoda.
Do you hear the voices too?!
Yoda
Storyteller
Storyteller
Code Cultist

Postby mindwanders » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:51 pm

I think we are close to Navigators being finished. After a great deal of discussion, we've decided that Flame is more fitting than Mass for Baleful Eye. Although we need clarify the range that Flame now works at.

I've added Dangerous Bargain and reworked it to make it clear it works on Navigator talents as well as powers.

We could use feedback on the Mutations. Do people like the idea? Do they give enough/too much of an advantage? Do you need a bigger list?

While we're at it, what's on your wish list for Navigator Powers? These are a great place to put more downtime based ideas or quick, off the cuff abilities.
Gordon McDonald
Former Ref
mindwanders
Lord-Captain
Lord-Captain

Postby stew » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:48 pm

Recently I've been considering a navigator character and I think one of the best bits about these types of folks is the fact that they are the most powerful group of mutants going. In fact one of the most powerful groups of anything going.

The position of power being at odds in a mutant hating society should be pushed to the limits. More mutations! More mutations! All the Mutations!

Instead of a defined list could you have example mutations and benefits but the oppurtunity to work with the sts to craft your own as you take it. This represents the chaotic and unique factor they represent.
stew
Captain
Captain
Hildred Billhoff

Postby mindwanders » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:36 pm

That's an interesting idea, I rather like it.

Although there would need to be an acceptance that a mutation bonus may need to be revised if i was causing problems for the game.
Gordon McDonald
Former Ref
mindwanders
Lord-Captain
Lord-Captain

Postby stew » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:32 am

Yeah I think that's fair. One good thing about this game and it's players is that when rules need checked or re wrote it is accepted.

I would be happy with that.
stew
Captain
Captain
Hildred Billhoff

Postby Maakeff » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:25 pm

I cannot see a way to gain more Navigator powers (viewtopic.php?f=36&t=363) within the Talent tree as it currently stands on page 1 of this thread. Am I missing something?
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

http://wiki.norestforthewicked.org.uk/Winter
Maakeff
Lord-Captain
Lord-Captain
Winter

Postby mindwanders » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:35 pm

The two Universal powers still exist unchanged. One at intermediate and one at advanced.

I hadn't listed them as they were not being altered.
Gordon McDonald
Former Ref
mindwanders
Lord-Captain
Lord-Captain

PreviousNext

Return to Rules 2.0 Rewrites