Tech-Priest

Discussions pertinent to the rules rewrite

Moderator: Artemis

Tech-Priest

Postby Yoda » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:46 pm

The abilities of the Tech Priest archetype works by expending points form their pool of Omnissian Blessings, representing drugs, power reserves and custom cybernetic devices. This pool refreshes at the end of each combat.

Omnissian Training
You gain an effective +1 to your Cogitator Hacking and Mechanics skills and to your choice of a Lore skill (includes Forbidden Lore: Archeotech). This may grant you an effective level above Advanced at character creation, but may not grant you an effective level above Epic. You gain +1 to your Omnisian Blessings Pool.

Basic
Mechanicus Implants
You gain an effective +3 to Language: Binaric Cant. This may grant you a level above Advanced at character creation, but may not raise your effective level above Epic. In addition, you gain access to the Noosphere, and may ask storytellers for information regarding the state of the Noosphere. You no longer have a skill requirement to service Bionics. You gain +2 to your Omnissian Blessings Pool.

You may initiate a Construct endeavour for any item(s) with a Cost (Construct) of less than 150. These item(s) must all have a Category of Imperial. You are assumed to possess the relevant STCs for all such items.

Once per downtime when undertaking a Construct endeavour you may reduce the Cost (Construct) to produce items from that endeavour items by 75*, you also subtract 100 from the Difficulty (Construct) of the endeavour.

Multiple characters with this talent may work together to reduce the Cost (Construct) and Difficulty (Construct) of an item, but these values may not be reduced to below 25% of their original value, to a minimum of 1 WU.
  • Upgrade: Upgraded maniples allow you to plug into a console or device to manipulate problems directly. You may use a card not in your Cogitator Hacking deck as if it were in your deck by spending 1 OB.
  • Upgrade: Upgraded maniples allow you greater manipulation when dealing with machines. You may use a card not in your Mechanics deck as if it were in your deck by spending 1 OB.

Cult of Iron
Your implants now provide you with a measure of protection against damage due to a combination of metal plating and replacement organs. You gain two additional Body hits.
  • Upgrade: This talent now provides four additional Body hits instead.
  • Upgrade: You have acquired blood nanites to assist in repairs to your biological functions. You may Heal 2 Self by spending 1 OB

Intermediate Mech-Priest
Electro-Capacitors
You have been fitted with multiple useful upgrades and advantages. Pick two of the following upgrades.
  • Electrical Emitters, Single Ranged with a hand gesture. (0 OB)
  • Electromechanical Bounty, Recharge a Lasgun power pack or add a charge to a bionic device without requiring supplies. Added bionic charges expire at the end of combat. (1 OB).
  • Discharge, call Stun on your next melee attack (2 OB)
  • Nerve Impulse, Call Disarm <Arm> Ranged (1 OB)
  • Sub-Dermal Plating, Resist Stun (2 OB)
  • Boosted Senses, +1 Awareness for the remainder of a combat. (1 OB)
  • Auto Repair, Recover from a Disable Call (2 OB)

• Upgrade: Further Upgrades, pick another two upgrades.

Charm the Machine Spirit
Pick one of Repair or Cogitator Hacking, after 30 seconds roleplay you may spend 2 OB to instantly remove one challenge card from any test using that skill.
Was:
Pick one of Repair or Cogitator Hacking, you may spend 1 OB to instantly remove one challenge card from any test using that skill.

• Upgrade: You may use this ability on the other skill as well.
  • Upgrade: Increase your OB pool by 2.

Intermediate Biopriest
Integrated Bio-enhancers
You have received a self-replenishing bio-enhancement rig. Pick two of the following drugs that you have access to. These can be applied to yourself or others.
  • Azrael (+1 melee damage for a combat, 2 OB)
  • Steroids (+1 Fortitude for a combat, 1 OB)
  • Emetic (flushes Toxic effect, 1 OB)
  • Adrenaline (Inspire 2, 1 OB),
  • Hydra (recover from a Disable call, 1 OB) etc
  • Cordrazine (Stabilise someone that is bleeding out, 1 OB)
    • Upgrade: Increase your OB pool by 2.

Temporary Augmentations
Pick one of the following augmentations when you gain this ability, you may give yourself this augmentation for the remainder of the combat for 2 OB.
  • Enhanced Musculature, Fire a heavy weapon without bracing
  • Reinforced Skeleton, +4 Armour
  • Bestial Senses, +1 Awareness
  • Monstrous Snarl, Mass Fear 1/combat
  • Feral Agility, Resist Knockdown 1/combat
  • Augmented Reflexes +2 Vitality
    • Upgrade: Pick a second augmentation
    • Upgrade: You may now bestow the augmentation on others.

Universal - Intermediate
Technomat
Select a single category of items from the following listed:
  • Weapons
  • Armour
  • Non-combat Equipment
  • Planetary Assets
  • Ship Assets
  • Bionics

You may initiate a Construct endeavour for any item(s) with a Cost (Construct) of less than 300 from the list item chosen plus those items made available to you from your basic talent. These item(s) must all have a Category of Imperial or Imperial-advanced. You are assumed to possess the relevant STCs for all items that meet these requirements from the list item chosen.
If you have selected to construct Planetary Assets or Ship Assets then use the following rules when constructing them in place of the rules above. Please note that if you choose to construct Planetary or Ship Assets in a Construct action, you may not use your cost reduction or difficulty reduction on personal equipment, it is an either or choice.

You may initiate a Construct endeavour for any Ship/Planetary assets(s) with a Cost (Construct) of less than 600 from the list item chosen plus those items made available to you from your basic and intermediate talents. These item(s) must all have a Category of Imperial or Imperial-advanced. You are assumed to possess the relevant STCs for all items that meet these requirements from the list item chosen.

Replace the relevant effects of Mechanicus Implants with the following:
Once per downtime when undertaking a Construct endeavour you may reduce the Cost (Construct) to produce these items by 150*, you also subtract 200 from the Difficulty (Construct) of the endeavour.

Multiple characters with this talent may work together to reduce the Cost (Construct) and Difficulty (Construct) of an item, but these values may not be reduced to below 25% of their original value, to a minimum of 1 WU.

Advanced Mech-Priest
Mechanicus Deletes Nothing
Increase your OB pool by 2. Once per day, you may do any one of the following:
  • Ask a storyteller a detailed question related to technology, the history of the Mechanicus or any other item that may be relevantly stored by the Mechancius and receive a full and complete answer.
  • Ask a storyteller for complete details on one item of technology you are able to describe.
  • Operate any one item of technology for one use, regardless of any skill prerequisites or lack of familiarity with the item (this does not permit you to use items requiring repair).
  • Upgrade: you may now use this Talent three times per day.
Was:
Increase your OB pool by 2. Once per day, you may ask a Storyteller one question related to Mechanicus Lore, or request a list of the specific components of an STC you can name. This skill always provides full and accurate information and may provide information regarding lost or forbidden subjects of Mechanicus Lore, but does not cross over into Forbidden Lore.
  • Upgrade: You may now use this talent three times per day.

Lumen Upgrades
Increase your OB pool by 2. You have been fitted with integrated lumen field generators. Pick two of the following upgrades.
  • Lumen Flash, Mass Stun (2 OB)
  • Lumen Field, Call Shield (2 OB)
  • Lumen Lance, Call Ranged Mass Quad Through Shieldbreaker (2 OB)
Was:
  • Lumen Lance, Ranged Quad Through Shieldbreaker (3 OB)

• Upgrade: Further Upgrades, pick another upgrade.

Advanced Biopriest
Cybernetic Resurrection
Increase your OB pool by 2. You have been augmented with multiple advanced Medical Mechadendrites. You may administer Medical Care with only one minute of RP and recovery time is reduced to 1 Body every 15 minutes.
  • Upgrade: You may no spend 3 OB to call Mass Inspire <Players> 4.

Immortality of the Omnissiah
Increase your OB pool by 2. You have received extensive implants allowing you to survive a great deal of punishment. Spend 4 OB, even while on your death counter, you may take thirty seconds and call Heal 4 on yourself.
  • Upgrade: You may now call Heal 8 on yourself.

Universal - Advanced
Advanced Technomat
Select a single category of items from the following listed, following
the pre-requisites listed:
  • Ranged Weapons (Weapons)
  • Melee Weapons (Weapons)
  • Heavy Weapons (Weapons)
  • Basic Armour & Shields (Powerfields and Power Shields) (Armour)
  • Power Armour (Armour)
  • Pick Two Skill Groups to Improve (Non-Combat)
  • Limbs (Bionics) & Organs (Bionics)
  • Eyes & Neural Implants (Bionics)
  • Ship Hulls & Ship Engines (Ship Assets)
  • Ship Shields & Weapons (Ship Assets)
  • Ship Auspex & Bridge & Supplemental (Ship Assets)
  • Planetary assets are currently unavailable

You may initiate a Construct endeavour for any item(s) with a Cost (Construct) of less than 450 from the list item chosen plus those items made available to you from your basic and intermediate talents. These item(s) must all have a Category of Imperial or
Imperial-advanced. You are assumed to possess the relevant STCs for all items that meet these requirements from the list item chosen.

If you have selected to construct Planetary Assets or Ship Assets then use the following rules instead of the rules above. Please note that if you choose to construct Planetary or Ship Assets in a Construct action, you may not use your cost reduction or difficulty reduction on personal equipment, it is an either or choice.

You may initiate a Construct endeavour for any Ship/Planetary assets(s) from the list item chosen plus those items made available to you from your basic and intermediate talents. These item(s) must all have a Category of Imperial or Imperial-advanced. You are assumed to possess the relevant STCs for all items that meet these requirements from the list item chosen.

Replace the relevant effects of Technomat with the following:

Once per downtime when undertaking a Construct endeavour you may reduce the Cost (Construct) to produce these items by 225*, you also subtract 300 from the Difficulty (Construct) of the endeavour.

---
* This is applied after selecting which items you may construct. When constructing ammo and consumables, each individual item still has a minimum cost of 1 WU.
- Yoda.
Do you hear the voices too?!
Yoda
Storyteller
Storyteller
Code Cultist

Re: Tech-Priest

Postby Yoda » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:48 pm

Tech-Priests are the most lacking in terms of talents, for which I apologise. It's quite tricky to come up with good talents for them - which is why we're opening it up to you to see what you want to have in your archetype.

The list of combat drugs is not finalised, but is the result of brainstorming.

The universal branch that opened up crafting options will probably return after the trade/manufacturing system has been finalised.
- Yoda.
Yoda
Storyteller
Storyteller
Code Cultist

Postby evgeny » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:04 am

First of all let me sleep on it I'll come back with some suggestions tomorrow.

At first look I have to complain about the Combat tree.
Electro-Priest - no longer does Stun and does a useless (no offence) point of damage once per combat.
Integrated Bio-enhancers - As cool as it sounds it replaced the Tech-Priests awesome ability to heal themselves and others. I have a slight problem with that as that was the only reason I went in to that side of the tree.

Mechanicus Deletes Nothing - Yes.
Cybernetic Resurrection - cool as always even though it inspires instead of heals.
Occasionally, I forget that the world and I have largely differing views on what matters.
evgeny
Captain
Captain
Genetor Ezekiel Grey

Postby hofoengenar » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:47 am

I have to agree that as powers go, Electro-Priest seems seriously under powered. It's basically a gun that only gets one shot...
Slice
Captain in the Pitbulls.
Definitely not a doctor.
hofoengenar
Marshall
Marshall
Slice

Postby Yoda » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:20 am

The numbers may need worked on. Looking back at it, those numbers are quite small compared to where they should be. They should be a minimum of 3/6 not 1/3.

Regarding the Stun, it was decided that we wanted to make Stun a characteristic of the Scout archetype, so it was removed from most other places.

Regarding Healing, the number of Heals that Tech-Priests had made them ridiculously hard. It effectively doubled or tripled their hit points compared to anyone else and we didn't feel that being the party medic was the Tech-Priest's role. So we scaled back and replaced a lot of their Heals with Inspires. The move to combat drugs was one of these initiatives.
- Yoda.
Yoda
Storyteller
Storyteller
Code Cultist

Postby Hazel » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:39 am

How about a disarm instead of a stun or damage, for the electro priest thing?
Lord-Captain Freya Tryskellan
Dedicated Follower of Fashio- ahem, of the Emperor
Hazel
Captain
Captain

Postby Ghost » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:12 pm

Yoda wrote:Regarding Healing, the number of Heals that Tech-Priests had made them ridiculously hard. It effectively doubled or tripled their hit points compared to anyone else and we didn't feel that being the party medic was the Tech-Priest's role. So we scaled back and replaced a lot of their Heals with Inspires. The move to combat drugs was one of these initiatives.

In the RPG medicae priests are one of the clear archetypes. As far as I can see rapid healing no longer exists in the system with this change, which I think is a real problem.
D3-K4-RD, Executor Fetial and Lord Protector of Lady Captain Miranda Phoenix.

Also Lord Captain Mercutio Dexter (Deceased)
Ghost
Lord-Captain
Lord-Captain
Pyro

Postby hofoengenar » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:17 pm

I know you probably don't want to go adding new calls at the moment, but how about a call for the electro priest along the lines of:

Short Out: for the next 5 seconds (or alternatively, until 5 seconds of role play is spent fixing them) all cybernetics, melee weapons more complex than standard swords and guns other than bolters (not sure about that part, but blotters always struck me as reaction powered rather than high tech electronics) no longer function.
Slice
Captain in the Pitbulls.
Definitely not a doctor.
hofoengenar
Marshall
Marshall
Slice

Postby evgeny » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:48 pm

Yoda wrote:Regarding Healing, the number of Heals that Tech-Priests had made them ridiculously hard. It effectively doubled or tripled their hit points compared to anyone else and we didn't feel that being the party medic was the Tech-Priest's role.

Id like to say that I used this ability on myself maybe once, it was mostly used to keep others alive just a bit longer.

On a side note from where my character concept started (i.e. Medic/Slicer) I can no longer Heal, Hack security systems, Open electronic doors, Disable explosives, Shock the enemy to run away from close combat.

I'm still working on writing up my suggested skill tree for admeck, so hang on. i'll post it up as soon as I'm done.
Occasionally, I forget that the world and I have largely differing views on what matters.
evgeny
Captain
Captain
Genetor Ezekiel Grey

Postby Artemis » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:52 pm

Having just been playing a combat enginseer in an Only War game I reckon the most ubiquitous combat talents tend to be the Luminen tree of talents. In that vein I'd suggest

Luminen Flash
Once per combat the tech priest is able to call "Blind" (suggest duration of five seconds, during which the target can attempt to defend but not attack)
UG to three times a combat
UG to mass to affect bunched targets.

Luminen Barrier
Can spend one vitality point to call shield some times per combat
UG to more times

Luminen Shock
Add knockdown quality to a melee attack.
Luminen Blast - single knockdown as a ranged attack from the palm
UG to more times per combat
Artemis
Rules Ref
Rules Ref
Shane-O

Next

Return to Rules 2.0 Rewrites