Support Weapons Skill

Discussions pertinent to the rules rewrite

Moderator: Artemis

Re: Support Weapons Skill

Postby Milofo » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:04 pm

Hi guys. Looking at the skills required for missiles and grenades. Is there any reason that a missile launcher can fire all missile types for support skill 2 but rifle grenades have a skill required for each grenade type. Example you can use Krak missiles (QUAD THROUGH DISABLE) for skill 2 but krak rifle grenades (QUAD THROUGH DISABLE ) are skill 4. Both require the pause before fire and cost the same.
Milofo
Midshipman
Midshipman
Brother Elrend Hodhr
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:06 pm

Re: Support Weapons Skill

Postby Jodikat » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:48 am

Grenade suggestions:

Smoke Grenade (cost: cheapish, skill requirement: 2-ish?)
MASS VANISH STEALTH 1/combat

Basically a less good but also cheaper/less skill requirement version of Blind Grenades. 'Cause it seemed weird that there was an awesome UNSEEN one but not a less good stealth one.

Flashbang (cost: expensive, requirement: 3-4)
MASS STUN 1/combat

Seemed appropriate since they exist, but understand if we wanna limit the amount of STUN for balance etc.


Also, for the purposes of cover, are grenades ranged damage? It seems like if I throw a frag into somebody's cover, it ought to hit them (and maybe flush them out). But as it stands I'm not sure whether I'd get one hit per two grenades, as per cover rules.

I was also wondering if it might be possible to pick up your phys reps and have someone with demolitions or repair re-arm them - basically taking the risk inherent in picking up the spent grenades for a chance at not having to pay for more, something you might decide is worth it if you're poor or at a low-supply event. Thoughts?
Major D. Summers, Captain of the Mortimer Dynasty Guard
Callsign: SPIDER
User avatar
Jodikat
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
SPIDER
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:10 pm

Re: Support Weapons Skill

Postby Caboose2605 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:15 pm

Jodikat wrote:Grenade suggestions:
Smoke Grenade (cost: cheapish, skill requirement: 2-ish?)
MASS VANISH STEALTH 1/combat
Basically a less good but also cheaper/less skill requirement version of Blind Grenades. 'Cause it seemed weird that there was an awesome UNSEEN one but not a less good stealth one.


Not a bad suggestion but... replaces a 6xp scout talent for... what's support weapons... 3/4 xp?? + wu cost. It's the same problem I have with Blind Grenades mind you.
Player: Fraser Ramsay
Character: Ghost NC1161625

"Strive to challenge yourself. Challenge your mind, your faith and your drive. Only then can you achieve what I am born to achieve."
User avatar
Caboose2605
Captain
Captain
Tryskellan Dynasty Scout
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:34 pm

Re: Support Weapons Skill

Postby Snarfeh » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:42 pm

Caboose2605 wrote:
Jodikat wrote:Grenade suggestions:
Smoke Grenade (cost: cheapish, skill requirement: 2-ish?)
MASS VANISH STEALTH 1/combat
Basically a less good but also cheaper/less skill requirement version of Blind Grenades. 'Cause it seemed weird that there was an awesome UNSEEN one but not a less good stealth one.


Not a bad suggestion but... replaces a 6xp scout talent for... what's support weapons... 3/4 xp?? + wu cost. It's the same problem I have with Blind Grenades mind you.


It's only 6xp if you don't count the talents you need to buy to get up to Vanish Stealth.
Lord Aurelius Hark

OOC- James Watson
User avatar
Snarfeh
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Lord Aurelius Hark
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:22 am

Re: Support Weapons Skill

Postby NeillC » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:50 am

Equipment and consumables replicate a lot of people's talents, though.
Lord Captain Calder Traherne
NeillC
Captain
Captain
Cal Traherne
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Support Weapons Skill

Postby Snarfeh » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:30 pm

NeillC wrote:Equipment and consumables replicate a lot of people's talents, though.

Yup, and I'd be happy if they removed any talent replicating consumables to be honest, or at least limited to replicating Basic Talents only.
Lord Aurelius Hark

OOC- James Watson
User avatar
Snarfeh
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Lord Aurelius Hark
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:22 am

Re: Support Weapons Skill

Postby Yoda » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:12 pm

Silly idea but why not actually use smoke grenades and use the smoke to establish cover and stealth? It's not like we're against the use of pyros at our events and doing is better than saying.
- Yoda.
Do you hear the voices too?!
User avatar
Yoda
Storyteller
Storyteller
Code Cultist
 
Posts: 791
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:03 am
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: Support Weapons Skill

Postby Caboose2605 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:16 pm

Yoda wrote:Silly idea but why not actually use smoke grenades and use the smoke to establish cover and stealth? It's not like we're against the use of pyros at our events and doing is better than saying.


This ^^
Player: Fraser Ramsay
Character: Ghost NC1161625

"Strive to challenge yourself. Challenge your mind, your faith and your drive. Only then can you achieve what I am born to achieve."
User avatar
Caboose2605
Captain
Captain
Tryskellan Dynasty Scout
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:34 pm

Re: Support Weapons Skill

Postby mindwanders » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:54 am

Milofo wrote:Hi guys. Looking at the skills required for missiles and grenades. Is there any reason that a missile launcher can fire all missile types for support skill 2 but rifle grenades have a skill required for each grenade type. Example you can use Krak missiles (QUAD THROUGH DISABLE) for skill 2 but krak rifle grenades (QUAD THROUGH DISABLE ) are skill 4. Both require the pause before fire and cost the same.


The original logic was around flexibility. A rifle grenade is only pause before firing when you use it, the rest of the time it is a standard rifle. A rocket launcher is always pause before firing.
Last edited by Yoda on Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: clarity
Gordon McDonald
Captain Bartholomew Noxof the Milady De Winter
Former Ref
google.com/+GordonMcDonald
User avatar
mindwanders
Lord-Captain
Lord-Captain
 
Posts: 327
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 8:40 pm

Re: Support Weapons Skill

Postby Yoda » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:45 am

Jodikat wrote:Also, for the purposes of cover, are grenades ranged damage? It seems like if I throw a frag into somebody's cover, it ought to hit them (and maybe flush them out). But as it stands I'm not sure whether I'd get one hit per two grenades, as per cover rules.


If the grenade is on the same side of the cover as you are, then you're not in cover from the grenade. If the grenade is on the other side of the cover, you're in cover.

For the purposes of demonstration:
* is a grenade
|| is a wall
O is a person

*||O - person is in cover
||O* - person is not in cover

Jodikat wrote:I was also wondering if it might be possible to pick up your phys reps and have someone with demolitions or repair re-arm them - basically taking the risk inherent in picking up the spent grenades for a chance at not having to pay for more, something you might decide is worth it if you're poor or at a low-supply event. Thoughts?


The reason fragmentation grenades work is that they explode, sending fragments of their casing hurtling in all directions to hurt people. They can't be rearmed - there's nothing left except fragments. Even if you did manage to salvage every piece in peak condition, there would still be destroyed components and they couldn't all be stuck back together to make a new grenade.

Other type of grenades similarly perform acts of self-destruction so there are no remains left to salvage except for scorch marks.

While you can reclaim your phys-reps, you can't build new grenades out of used ones.
- Yoda.
Do you hear the voices too?!
User avatar
Yoda
Storyteller
Storyteller
Code Cultist
 
Posts: 791
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:03 am
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

PreviousNext

Return to Rules 2.0 Rewrites

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest