Navigator Powers

Discussions pertinent to the rules rewrite

Moderator: Artemis

Navigator Powers

Postby mindwanders » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:39 pm

Cloud in the Warp
Once per day you can call Resist when a psychic power is used to gain information about you.
  • Upgrade: You may now use this power three times per day
Curse of the Trembling Shoals
Once per downtime, you may pick a target individual. During that downtime, that target is plagued by warp troubles and nightmares, as such all actions contribute 20% less points due to the warp being uneasy around them. This power can explicitly be used on other players. When used on NPC groups it will have a significant, plot-changing effect.
  • Upgrade: The target's actions are now reduced by 40%.
Disrupting the Empyrean
Once per downtime you can make a small warp storm in a target area (a planet or endeavour location). All ships used at this endeavour location spend one extra point of speed to contribute to the endeavour, up to the maximum of their vessels speed. This warp storm is not powerful enough to prevent a vessel reaching the location at this point. This power can explicitly be used on other players/groups. When used on NPC groups it will have a significant, plot-changing effect.
  • Upgrade: Now when you use this power vessels which cannot pay the whole cost of speed points may not contribute points to the endeavour.
Eye of the Storm
Once per downtime you may make Warp travel aboard ships for which you are the principal Navigator somewhat safer. This allows you to contribute 40 EPs to cost & difficulty of an endeavour.
  • Upgrade: You may now contribute 80 EPs to the cost & difficulty of an endeavour.
Flank Speed
Warp travel aboard for a ship that you are a principal Navigator is somewhat faster, increase that ships speed by one.
  • Upgrade: You may extend this power to other ships in a fleet with you. All ships in a fleet with you increase their speed by one for this downtime.
The Lidless Stare
Once per combat you can call Quad Vital Range against a target that is looking in your direction.
  • Upgrade: You may use this power three times per combat.
Obliterating the Immaterial Wake
Once per downtime you can select an action in which you are navigating a voidship that is involved in that action. That Ship cannot be tracked and any attempts to do so fail automatically.
  • Upgrade: You can now use this power on a fleet including your voidship
Refresh and Revitalise
Once per combat, you can call Inspire 4 on yourself.
  • Upgrade: You can now use this power three times per combat.
Stupefy the Soul
Once per combat you can call Stun Range
  • Upgrade: You can now use this power three times per combat
Tracks in the Stars
You are particularly adept at following the wakes of other ships through the warp. Once per downtime, you may select a target voidship and follow their wake-trail to find their destination. This requires a voidship and an action.
  • Upgrade: You can now follow the trails without following the ship. You can get a good idea of where the target ship is headed without using an action.
Warpfire
You can focus your mind and target an opponent with flames drawn from the warp. Once per combat, you can call Flame Quad.
  • Upgrade: You may now use this power three times per combat.
Curse of the Weakness of Flesh
Once per day you may channel the power of the warp through your third eye into a subject, enervating them. You must speak to a subject (usually a curse) and unveil your third eye. They lose two points of Fortitude (this may take them below zero) which reduces their Vitality and Body by two each. You may use this power in combat, but as it has no associated calls you must be able to explain this to the target. It is best used to open combat as this can be done more easily. Targets of this power should role play being drained and listless. This power lasts for a day.
  • Upgrade: The target now loses four points of Fortitude.
Channel to the Void
Once per combat you may open your third eye and release a direct channel to the warp through it. You may call ‘QUAD WARP FLAME CORRUPT’.
Become One with the Void
You internalise the power of the third eye and suffuse your form with the power of the warp, becoming partiality phased out of reality. You may call ‘SHIELD’ once per combat.
Armaments of the Void
You turn your gaze to your own weapons, channelling the dread power of the warp into them, making the deal extra damage and becoming the bane of entites tied to the warp. Three times per combat, you may call ‘WARP’ with a melee attack, this attack also deals +1 damage.
  • Upgrade: You may use this power six times per combat.
Gordon McDonald
Captain Bartholomew Noxof the Milady De Winter
Former Ref
google.com/+GordonMcDonald
mindwanders
Lord-Captain
Lord-Captain

Re: Navigator Powers

Postby sienf » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:40 pm

When you guys have had a chance to breathe, can I get that clarification on Flank Speed vs. With the Tide that I asked Yoda for at the worst possible time?

Essentially
1. Should they both exist? Yoda thought there would be only one.
2. If yes, does With the Tide work if you are navigating a single ship?

Thank you!
Lady Navigator Lorelai Sachern of the Houses Vicher and Corophasian
Scion of the House Vicher
Lead Navigator to the Mercutio Dynasty and the Gunboat Diplomat
Lady of the Ruhrort Sector
sienf
Midshipman
Midshipman
Lorelai Sachern, Houses Vicher and Corophasian

Postby mindwanders » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:33 pm

I've taken a note of your question. But we'll be starting a post game review of the changes in a few weeks. So, it'll probably not be answered before then.
Gordon McDonald
Captain Bartholomew Noxof the Milady De Winter
Former Ref
google.com/+GordonMcDonald
mindwanders
Lord-Captain
Lord-Captain

Postby sienf » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:25 am

As I said, no rush. I wouldn't expect you to be handling game queries for at least a week after an event anyway :)
sienf
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby sienf » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:03 pm

Adding another question to the list above for whenever you guys get around to them:

Lidless Stare - does the Navigator's third eye need to be visible when calling this? Or can it remain physically covered up, but make the call because it's not vision you're targetting (but rather weird warp wibbly things)? Also, same question for the 2nd Navigator talent, Gaze into the Abyss - do I need to "look upon a target" with my 3rd eye uncovered?
sienf
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby Artemis » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:19 pm

From the non navigator pov, linked question. can you try to fight a navigator in the style of Perseus vs Medusa in order to prevent them using eye powers on you?
Artemis
Rules Ref
Rules Ref
Shane-O

Postby Yoda » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:45 am

The thematic is that you unveil your eye when you use such powers and talents. The Lidless Stare particularly is an "eye power", which causes damage by drawing people to stare into the raw essence of the warp reflected in your warp eye (and this is why Navigators keep their eyes covered).

There is no canon example for a mirrored shield-type affair, but since the power does work with augmetic eyes, I would say that it would work when viewed through a mirror as well.

Being blinded would probably work, but might make it rather unsafe to fight.

It's not an aspect of the system that has been fully considered.
- Yoda.
Do you hear the voices too?!
Yoda
Storyteller
Storyteller
Code Cultist

Postby stew » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:12 am

the best sort of rules i have found is in Rogue Trader table top....allow they are hell'a bent.

but the canon round that is that the warp is enticing and even turning away or covering your eyes only gives you a plus 30% chance on your will save.

And i wouldnt imagine the lidless stare blasts out a dart of energy that you could dodge or avoid, but more a wave of warp energy. So hidding behind a massive kite shield might protect you but to peak over to see the target to swing your sword in retaliation would cause you grief in the form of warp energy.

Long story short. No i think hiding behind a shield or wall would only delay the inevitable.

Hope that makes sense.
stew
Captain
Captain
Hildred Billhoff

Postby PaulK » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:21 pm

I think in Inquisitor it was a flamer template, and that's how I have always imagined the wave of lidless stare energy, it did use to ignore cover in that system.
Give me any savant you care, and I shall match his worth tenfold with even the most basic of Machine Spirits.

http://wiki.norestforthewicked.org.uk/Hars_Borras
PaulK
Captain
Captain
Fabricator Borras

Postby sienf » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:25 pm

sienf wrote:When you guys have had a chance to breathe, can I get that clarification on Flank Speed vs. With the Tide that I asked Yoda for at the worst possible time?

Essentially
1. Should they both exist? Yoda thought there would be only one.
2. If yes, does With the Tide work if you are navigating a single ship?

Thank you!

I'm sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere, but can I get a firm call on it?
sienf
Midshipman
Midshipman

Next

Return to Rules 2.0 Rewrites