Downtime System Rules Questions

Discussions pertinent to the rules rewrite

Moderator: Artemis

Downtime System Rules Questions

Postby mindwanders » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:26 pm

Unlear on how something works or just want to check you are reading it right? Ask away?
Gordon McDonald
Captain Bartholomew Noxof the Milady De Winter
Former Ref
google.com/+GordonMcDonald
mindwanders
Lord-Captain
Lord-Captain

Re: Downtime System Rules Questions

Postby Bear » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:25 pm

So, in the announcement about the new downtime system, there's the following line:

The new system now puts the whole of the process in your hands and removes any element of random chance from the system. This isn't to say you may not fail, but when you do it will be due to your fellow PCs or to prominent, identifiable NPCs, not 4d10.

Now, in the actual downtime document, on page 9, is a table with different endeavours, where one of the headings says the following: "Target No (after die roll)."

Is that an error, or is there a die roll involved in setting difficulty? Also, is "Target no." the same as the difficulty that says what we'll get out of an endeavour (as compared to the Action Difficulty column)?

How does Seneschal talents interact with the new downtime system (I am thinking particularly for Hard Bargain, Tychoon and Courtier here)?
If I wanted to set up an endeavour to buy a title, for example marry into planetary nobility (difficulty 37.5, cost 150), and have the Courtier talent at basic level, I would get a 15% discount on the cost of 150?

Just to also make it absolutely clear, upkeep has been removed on anything bar Titles? Thus, using Hard Bargain on Titles would still work as normal?
Bear
Captain
Captain
Lord Gavrillius Angstrom

Postby horzabora » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:31 pm

Bear wrote:So, in the announcement about the new downtime system, there's the following line:

Now, in the actual downtime document, on page 9, is a table with different endeavours, where one of the headings says the following: "Target No (after die roll)."

Is that an error, or is there a die roll involved in setting difficulty? Also, is "Target no." the same as the difficulty that says what we'll get out of an endeavour (as compared to the Action Difficulty column)?

This is an error, no dice roll is involved. Target number is indeed the difficulty. The action difficulty column is... a hold over that will be removed.

Bear wrote:How does Seneschal talents interact with the new downtime system (I am thinking particularly for Hard Bargain, Tychoon and Courtier here)?
If I wanted to set up an endeavour to buy a title, for example marry into planetary nobility (difficulty 37.5, cost 150), and have the Courtier talent at basic level, I would get a 15% discount on the cost of 150?

Can you be more specific regarding your questions as to how each of them work? In the example in question, it would provide the discount on the cost of 150, yes. The difficulty would not be modified.

Bear wrote:Just to also make it absolutely clear, upkeep has been removed on anything bar Titles? Thus, using Hard Bargain on Titles would still work as normal?

That is correct.
Rob Collins
Creative Director: Conflict Resolution
Lead Storyteller: Inquisition Chronicles
Storyteller: No Rest for the Wicked
"A good soldier obeys without question. A good officer commands without doubt."
horzabora
Storyteller
Storyteller
Creative Director

Postby Bear » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:52 pm

Hard Bargain: Once per downtime, pick an influence perk or building. Increase its effectiveness multiplier by 15%.

Influence perks still include Titles, but with the introduction of Assets, how does the Talent interact with them? Does it apply to all Assets (so that if I, say, had a Stormtrooper Company and applied Hard Bargain to it, I'd get the standard 30MP, plus 15% of that)?

Courtier applies to the Cost of Titles, as covered already. Does it also apply when upgrading a title (Guard Captain to Major, for example, has a difference of 50, so I'd pay 50 IP (or equivalent in other currency), subtracting 7 (15% being 7.5 WU, rounded down), for a total of 43)?

Tycoon: Once per downtime, you may pick an endeavour qualifier. You gain 15% more points of that qualifier type from this endeavour. This bonus applies to anyone in your group working towards this endeavour.

What is an endeavour qualifier under the new system? Does it mean that if I drag Castellan to a party for a Convert Endeavour, and we both contribute Politics 4, we'd then add 80 points each (for a total of 160), then another 12 each for the Tycoon talent, for a total of 184 to put towards the target number/difficulty?
Bear
Captain
Captain
Lord Gavrillius Angstrom

Postby horzabora » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:26 pm

Bear wrote:Hard Bargain: Once per downtime, pick an influence perk or building. Increase its effectiveness multiplier by 15%.

Influence perks still include Titles, but with the introduction of Assets, how does the Talent interact with them? Does it apply to all Assets (so that if I, say, had a Stormtrooper Company and applied Hard Bargain to it, I'd get the standard 30MP, plus 15% of that)?

Replace the text 'influence perk or building' with 'Asset'.

Bear wrote:Courtier applies to the Cost of Titles, as covered already. Does it also apply when upgrading a title (Guard Captain to Major, for example, has a difference of 50, so I'd pay 50 IP (or equivalent in other currency), subtracting 7 (15% being 7.5 WU, rounded down), for a total of 43)?

Yes.

Bear wrote:Tycoon: Once per downtime, you may pick an endeavour qualifier. You gain 15% more points of that qualifier type from this endeavour. This bonus applies to anyone in your group working towards this endeavour.

What is an endeavour qualifier under the new system? Does it mean that if I drag Castellan to a party for a Convert Endeavour, and we both contribute Politics 4, we'd then add 80 points each (for a total of 160), then another 12 each for the Tycoon talent, for a total of 184 to put towards the target number/difficulty?

Replace 'qualifier type' with 'method'.
Rob Collins
horzabora
Storyteller
Storyteller
Creative Director

Postby Bear » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:49 pm

Thank you. I think I understand now.

One final question about Tycoon: If I upgrade it to work three times per downtime, and for an endeavour we increase the cost by 5% to make it both Military and Technological, can I use Tycoon to both the Military and Technical method in that endeavour (with one other use of Tycoon for another method/endeavour)?

Also, does Tycoon and Trade Affiliates stack?
Bear
Captain
Captain
Lord Gavrillius Angstrom

Postby horzabora » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:05 pm

Bear wrote:Thank you. I think I understand now.

One final question about Tycoon: If I upgrade it to work three times per downtime, and for an endeavour we increase the cost by 5% to make it both Military and Technological, can I use Tycoon to both the Military and Technical method in that endeavour (with one other use of Tycoon for another method/endeavour)?

Yes, there's a degree of diminishing returns there though - you're adding 5% to the total cost in return for 30% extra for things applied through a single method, which presumably is not the total cost. But if it's worthwhile doing that, you can.

Bear wrote:Also, does Tycoon and Trade Affiliates stack?

Yes. It is additive stacking, so a maximum of a 50% bonus..
Rob Collins
horzabora
Storyteller
Storyteller
Creative Director

Postby Maakeff » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:51 pm

As written, Red Corruption cards are going to be a major sink of time, effort, and resources to recover from - from any event even near the previous one in it's frequency of dealing such out. In short, for being at an event where there are Chaos forces, a character doesn't just take some Corruption - he loses one of his downtime actions and a significant chunk of currency/resource. This seems perhaps a touch too unfair (given how it is not necessarily by character choice, but by simply attending the right/wrong event/linear that can make Corruption gains a given), given their debilitative nature as it is. However, this could be as intended by yourselves of course. Also, primarily "uptime" characters have less ability inherently to deal with such an affliction in downtime, and are commensurately the most likely to gain them during the nastier encounters which they are more likely to go on.

Would you please consider making removing Red Corruption less intensive/expensive to perform?
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

http://wiki.norestforthewicked.org.uk/Winter
Maakeff
Lord-Captain
Lord-Captain
Winter

Postby horzabora » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:59 pm

Vox Populi was advertised as a high combat event vs the Archenemy of Mankind, high levels of corruption are an occupational hazard in such an environment, you should not expect such high levels to occur except in a telegraphed manner. Although surprises do happen, as we can't predict everything.

We feel the current system is well balanced to allow those characters who have invested in relevant assets and background traits to meet the required difficulty of removing corruption cards, while providing a money sink for that removal.

This also rewards those characters who have the ability to resist corruption from various sources.

I feel the current cost and difficulty are appropriate given the in-setting difficulties of removing corruption, as such they will not be being changed.
Rob Collins
horzabora
Storyteller
Storyteller
Creative Director

Postby Maakeff » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:34 am

horzabora wrote:Vox Populi was advertised as a high combat event vs the Archenemy of Mankind, high levels of corruption are an occupational hazard in such an environment, you should not expect such high levels to occur except in a telegraphed manner. Although surprises do happen, as we can't predict everything.

We feel the current system is well balanced to allow those characters who have invested in relevant assets and background traits to meet the required difficulty of removing corruption cards, while providing a money sink for that removal.

This also rewards those characters who have the ability to resist corruption from various sources.

I feel the current cost and difficulty are appropriate given the in-setting difficulties of removing corruption, as such they will not be being changed.

Part of my point was that IMO, characters most likely to be in a position to gain such Corruption are not necessarily or even likely to be the ones best-equipped to resist or remove it, be it via ability or investment in suitable Assets or whatever. Thus, them having the ability to remove it from themselves matters little to those others who gain it.

I can see a possibility though of something that isn't clear in RAW as being a potential way to deal with it - can other characters spend their downtime actions (with use of Assets/abilities/etc) on behalf of those characters with Corruption to be cleansed? Also, might it be possible to cleanse multiple characters in one downtime action perhaps with increased difficulty/cost/something like that? If this is the case, I'd like to request clarity please on the details of how. Thank you. :-)
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

http://wiki.norestforthewicked.org.uk/Winter
Maakeff
Lord-Captain
Lord-Captain
Winter

Next

Return to Rules 2.0 Rewrites