Downtime System Rules Questions

Discussions pertinent to the rules rewrite

Moderator: Artemis

Re: Downtime System Rules Questions

Postby Yoda » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:35 am

You are explicitly able to do that. Corruption is removed from a character, not from yourself with the Remove Corruption action.
- Yoda.
Do you hear the voices too?!
Yoda
Storyteller
Storyteller
Code Cultist

Postby horzabora » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:13 pm

The rules do not specify 'your character' they state 'character', it is the intent of the rules that the removal of corruption may be done by others on your behalf.

It is possible to combine characters into a single downtime endeavour, the costs and difficulties are additive.
Rob Collins
Creative Director: Conflict Resolution
Lead Storyteller: Inquisition Chronicles
Storyteller: No Rest for the Wicked
"A good soldier obeys without question. A good officer commands without doubt."
horzabora
Storyteller
Storyteller
Creative Director

Postby Maakeff » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:25 pm

Cheers - that makes a lot of difference. :-)
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

http://wiki.norestforthewicked.org.uk/Winter
Maakeff
Lord-Captain
Lord-Captain
Winter

Postby Bear » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:03 pm

Now I can access the forum...I have more questions. (Oh look, no one's surprised.)

Titles/Assets: To acquire one in downtime, you have to perform a Convert Endeavour with the Gain Title outcome? (As compared to previously just spending the IP.)
If I wanted, say, Planetary Governor, the Cost is 600 and the Difficulty is 150 (25% of 600). With Courtier, I could make the cost 510 instead, but the Difficulty remains 150?

Can mercenaries be upgraded?
(I will admit, the Assets document isn't terribly clear on how mercenaries function now; the way I read it, which is probably not the intent, you get Military Asset, Access and Correspondent if you have the Mercenary title equivalent of Guard Captain. I would think you only got the Military Asset.)

If I have a company of mercenaries providing 30 MP, and a fellow crew member has a military exploration crew, providing 30MP and 30EP, which we put towards an endeavour, we'd need to use a Bolster endeavour to restore those points before the assets can be used again?
If so, one Bolster action could restore all the MP (60) of the two crews, or the 30 EP of the exploration crew, not both?
We pay the whole value of the Asset, even if we only 'needed', say, 50 MP? (I would think the answer here is yes, as the extra MP would go into overcommitting.)
Do all Assets require resupply, or are Titles exempt as you pay upkeep for them?
If I have Influence I have bought separately from a Title, and also have Influence from a Title, does the separate Influence require resupply?

Also, I know this is not directly related to downtime as such, but in the equipment list is Dataslate a suggested item, providing +1 Commerce 3/day.
Only permanent items provide a benefit in downtime; will Commerce be usable in uptime from this event? Alternatively, will these items be useful in downtime? (Asks the guy who's had an item that does exactly that for some time now.)
Bear
Captain
Captain
Lord Gavrillius Angstrom

Postby horzabora » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:37 pm

Bear wrote:Now I can access the forum...I have more questions. (Oh look, no one's surprised.)

Titles/Assets: To acquire one in downtime, you have to perform a Convert Endeavour with the Gain Title outcome? (As compared to previously just spending the IP.)
If I wanted, say, Planetary Governor, the Cost is 600 and the Difficulty is 150 (25% of 600). With Courtier, I could make the cost 510 instead, but the Difficulty remains 150?

Correct.

Bear wrote:Can mercenaries be upgraded?
(I will admit, the Assets document isn't terribly clear on how mercenaries function now; the way I read it, which is probably not the intent, you get Military Asset, Access and Correspondent if you have the Mercenary title equivalent of Guard Captain. I would think you only got the Military Asset.)

Yes, they can. You need to make the difference in the Asset between the one you're coming from and the one you're going to - I'll be honest, this area is a bit unclear at the moment as well. We're going to do more work on Assets later, after Fair Met - if there are particular areas you want us to focus on, let me know.

Equally, if you have a pressing need to upgrade a unit now, also let us know, the system *should* work.

Bear wrote:If I have a company of mercenaries providing 30 MP, and a fellow crew member has a military exploration crew, providing 30MP and 30EP, which we put towards an endeavour, we'd need to use a Bolster endeavour to restore those points before the assets can be used again?
If so, one Bolster action could restore all the MP (60) of the two crews, or the 30 EP of the exploration crew, not both?
We pay the whole value of the Asset, even if we only 'needed', say, 50 MP? (I would think the answer here is yes, as the extra MP would go into overcommitting.)

Yes, you would need to bolster them.

A single Bolster action can resupply any number of assets that use the same resource type (EP or MP).

You only pay what you need, not the maximum.

Bear wrote:Do all Assets require resupply, or are Titles exempt as you pay upkeep for them?
If I have Influence I have bought separately from a Title, and also have Influence from a Title, does the separate Influence require resupply?

Only assets that provide EP or MP require resupply - so the influence assets don't, because they can't be used to pay costs.

Bear wrote:Also, I know this is not directly related to downtime as such, but in the equipment list is Dataslate a suggested item, providing +1 Commerce 3/day.
Only permanent items provide a benefit in downtime; will Commerce be usable in uptime from this event? Alternatively, will these items be useful in downtime? (Asks the guy who's had an item that does exactly that for some time now.)

We have not provided any extra chances for commerce to be useful at present.
Rob Collins
horzabora
Storyteller
Storyteller
Creative Director

Postby Bear » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:39 pm

Thank you.
Can I ask again exactly how mercenaries work?

Another question: Having looked at the "Method" section of the downtime document, it does mostly make sense.
I mean, if I have Influence (Ecclesiarchy), that's clearly a religious asset, and can be used on Endeavours using Political or Academic methods.

If I, on the other hand, have Influence (Seraph), being a planetary one, under what category does that fall?

(Finally, a little niggle: On page 2, under the heading "Type", it says "There are four types of endeavours, detailed below." I count five, so that should maybe be updated.)
Bear
Captain
Captain
Lord Gavrillius Angstrom

Postby horzabora » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:56 pm

Bear wrote:Thank you.
Can I ask again exactly how mercenaries work?

Non-mercenaries get to regenerate some of their MP and EP for free, mercenaries do not, they must pay to do so.

Generally, this works out a lot cheaper than it used to be - at least at the moment. This may be tweaked.

Bear wrote:Another question: Having looked at the "Method" section of the downtime document, it does mostly make sense.
I mean, if I have Influence (Ecclesiarchy), that's clearly a religious asset, and can be used on Endeavours using Political or Academic methods.

If I, on the other hand, have Influence (Seraph), being a planetary one, under what category does that fall?

Political Influence Asset (Seraph Nobility*) - 40 pts

*Replace nobility with something you like, but I figured nobility was what you wanted.

Bear wrote:(Finally, a little niggle: On page 2, under the heading "Type", it says "There are four types of endeavours, detailed below." I count five, so that should maybe be updated.)

I'll put it on the 'to be fixed' list. Thank you :)
Rob Collins
horzabora
Storyteller
Storyteller
Creative Director

Postby Bear » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:06 pm

Well, I don't not want nobility...and considering what I did to get it, that'd make sense.

If planetary influence now applies to a given sector of society, is it still locked to that planet, or is it just that you get half as many influence points?
As in, if I happened to be a Sector Lord (giving me 80 points of Influence (Nobility)), and had Influence (Seraph Nobility) for another 40 points, that means I have 120 points of Influence (Nobility) sector-wide?
Bear
Captain
Captain
Lord Gavrillius Angstrom

Postby horzabora » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:12 pm

Bear wrote:Well, I don't not want nobility...and considering what I did to get it, that'd make sense.

If planetary influence now applies to a given sector of society, is it still locked to that planet, or is it just that you get half as many influence points?
As in, if I happened to be a Sector Lord (giving me 80 points of Influence (Nobility)), and had Influence (Seraph Nobility) for another 40 points, that means I have 120 points of Influence (Nobility) sector-wide?

Your latter example is correct - sort of, the precise wording of what is in the brackets is as much for RP purposes as anything else, it's the type of influence/asset that is relevant really within the system, but your math and your assumption that you just add them up is entirely accurate!
Rob Collins
horzabora
Storyteller
Storyteller
Creative Director

Postby Maakeff » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:49 am

With this rules update, do the effects of the Skill "Warp Navigation" also need updating in order to tie them in?
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

http://wiki.norestforthewicked.org.uk/Winter
Maakeff
Lord-Captain
Lord-Captain
Winter

PreviousNext

Return to Rules 2.0 Rewrites