Downtime System Rules Questions

Discussions pertinent to the rules rewrite

Moderator: Artemis

Re: Downtime System Rules Questions

Postby horzabora » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:53 pm

Skills and talents work on selling things as they previously did.

Multiple people cannot work together to sell the same stuff - you really want the person with the best skills.

It's basically the same system.
Rob Collins
Creative Director: Conflict Resolution
Lead Storyteller: Inquisition Chronicles
Storyteller: No Rest for the Wicked
"A good soldier obeys without question. A good officer commands without doubt."
horzabora
Storyteller
Storyteller
Creative Director

Postby Andrew » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:04 am

Question.

Is it legitimate to go into WU and/or IP debt to pay the cost if an endeavour?

For example a starting character with 25IP wants to do an earn IP endeavour. They can hit difficult 200 but only have half the IP. Can they go into debt, do the endeavour and then pay the debt off straight away, effectively earning 175IP for a net gain of 150IP
Andrew
Storyteller
Storyteller
Isaac Flint

Postby Cathtice » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:54 am

I really hope not, honestly; because at that point I'm going to put in a ton of 'earn X' Endeavours, go into debt to pay for them and just take the net result. Woo, infinite currency!
"Knowledge is power. Guard it well."
Cathtice
Midshipman
Midshipman
Solveig Kjartansdottir, Scholar and Gentlewoman

Postby Andrew » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:33 pm

I don't think it's a particularly significant thing. Either you have IP/WU you could use to pay the cost and you're not so you can by stuff... Net result is you have stuff a little quicker.

Or you don't have enough to cover the cost, and so end up earning more than you could have, but no more than f you could cover the cost, at the risk of if you mess up your numbers you're in debt with no way to pay.

Or you're able to pay some of the cost, so it just means you're able to make full use if your maximum potential to earn.

At the end of the day it gives large groups a little more buying power, as long as they want to buy imperial tech and it allows smaller/new groups a chance to catch up and compete. I don't think it's any more infinate cash than the system already is.
Andrew
Storyteller
Storyteller
Isaac Flint

Postby Bear » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:35 pm

I understood it that the cost is what you need to meet to enter, as it were.

You couldn't enter a poker tournament with a minimum buy-in of £50,000 with only £10,000 and a charming smile, assuring the organisers you'll pay them back once you've won.
If you don't succeed in the Endeavour, after all (because other people can still interfere)...what then?

What about Endeavours where you don't get straight WU or Influence as an outcome?

I can see how it'd be good to give new people a boost, but sadly, this is not the way to do so.
Bear
Captain
Captain
Lord Gavrillius Angstrom

Postby horzabora » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:43 pm

In the present iteration of the system, you can go into debt to pay the cost, as long as that debt is in WU.

This will likely be changed after the present downtime cycle. But we're running with 'what we wrote' for two cycles to get an understanding.

For the record, the APR on debts to NPC banks is 30%.
Rob Collins
Creative Director: Conflict Resolution
Lead Storyteller: Inquisition Chronicles
Storyteller: No Rest for the Wicked
"A good soldier obeys without question. A good officer commands without doubt."
horzabora
Storyteller
Storyteller
Creative Director

Postby Artemis » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:24 pm

Can you improve an asset in the same downtime as it is being used or does it have to not be in use in order to be upgraded?
Artemis
Rules Ref
Rules Ref
Shane-O

Postby Artemis » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:40 pm

Second question .. two parter

Can you acquire more than one title as part of the same action or is it a separate action for each title you're trying to acquire? Otherwise it seems a bit odd to have titles that have tiny or fractional difficulties.
Do you have to take the titles as your character or can you have beholden NPCs for similar costs or increased cost?
So like Shane probably can't be a Drill Abbot as well as everything he already is but could have a friend who is?
Artemis
Rules Ref
Rules Ref
Shane-O

Postby mindwanders » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:06 pm

Can you improve an asset in the same downtime as it is being used or does it have to not be in use in order to be upgraded?

I don't see any reason why not from a system point of view. You could even theoretically use the asset to contribute to it's own upgrade. You can't take advantage of the upgrade until the next DT cycle though.

Can you acquire more than one title as part of the same action or is it a separate action for each title you're trying to acquire? Otherwise it seems a bit odd to have titles that have tiny or fractional difficulties.

No, as with other asset gaining actions, each title needs to be acquired separately.

Do you have to take the titles as your character or can you have beholden NPCs for similar costs or increased cost?

Titles need to belong to your character. If you want friends in useful places take an asset or influence instead. In the example you could use one action to buy the military unit and another to buy planetary church influence on the planet he's based on.
Gordon McDonald
Captain Bartholomew Noxof the Milady De Winter
Former Ref
google.com/+GordonMcDonald
mindwanders
Lord-Captain
Lord-Captain

Postby Hazel » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:30 pm

A couple of quick questions on seneschal talents - I couldn't see these answered up thread, apologies if I missed it:

Hard bargain - it can be applied to a 'resource producing asset' - does that mean it can be applied to a WU or IP-producing aspect of a title?

EDIT: removed Tycoon question, I just read it wrong.
Lord-Captain Freya Tryskellan
Dedicated Follower of Fashio- ahem, of the Emperor
Hazel
Captain
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to Rules 2.0 Rewrites