Consumables and Addiction

Discussions pertinent to the rules rewrite

Moderator: Artemis

Consumables and Addiction

Postby mindwanders » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:58 pm

We've decided not to implement the new addiction rules we were considering before Xanadu. They are a major system change and we want the time to consider and roll them out properly, so we will look at options for before the Seraph event.

The change to the Seneschal talent Emergency Supplies that made consumables last an encounter instead of a day is also being rolled back as it was a linked change as part of this revision.

Please note that the correct descriptions and effects for drugs can be found on the item spreadsheet that was released before the last event. The information on consumable effects on the spreadsheet replaces the information found on the forums.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=500

All other changes stand and will be in effect for Xanadu.
Gordon McDonald
Captain Bartholomew Noxof the Milady De Winter
Former Ref
google.com/+GordonMcDonald
mindwanders
Lord-Captain
Lord-Captain

Re: Consumables and Addiction

Postby Artemis » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:02 pm

By way of preamble, I will say that some of the thinking behind introducing System Shock is that it is something that will crop up following tough fights so it shouldn't be taken to mean an encounter has gone especially badly if a lot of people are affected by this.

Physical and Mental Tolerance.

Taking consumables and being inspired to push your body by leaders, faith and nanites only goes so far. Various skills contribute to how much a character can tolerate before they end up system shock themselves and suffering negative effects.
Fortitude contributes at full skill level.
Integrity, Survival, Medicae, Lore Biology and Lore Chymistry contribute half their skill level rounded up.
Once you've added all of these together halve your total and round up and this is your character's tolerance threshold.
Certain Bionics also add to Tolerance. Exact details to follow.

During a combat a character can receive a number of Inspire calls equal to their Tolerance without system shock.
During a combat a character can receive a number of Revitalise calls equal to their Tolerance without system shock.
During a combat a character can receive a number of Heal calls equal to their Tolerance without system shock.

Items and other calls which negate status effects are not subject to Tolerance.

When applying calls to another character please ensure that each call is given separately rather than added together. So delivering two doses of Stimm you would call “Inspire 4 and Inspire 4”, not simply “Inspire 8”.

System Shock.
If a character receives more healing related calls than their Tolerance within a single combat they will suffer some degree of system shock. This will involve some level of discussion with an ST to determine the severity. Higher severity is guaranteed by deliberately going into system shock rather than miscounting at the time or having an extra one applied by another character.
e.g. Sensory Overload. For the next hour an important sense stops working for the character (sight, hearing, balance etc.) effectively incapacitating the character until they have recovered.
Artemis
Rules Ref
Rules Ref
Shane-O

Postby Darth Fanboy » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:41 am

It seems that System Shock will be difficult to adjudicate during combat, due to the whole "discuss with ST" part. Should these perhaps be something that kicks in at combat end (as fatigue kicks in and the adrenal boosters wear off)?
Accursed be the Machine cast not in the Crucible of Faith.
- Catechism of the Autoculus of Mars
Darth Fanboy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Archmagos Solomon Kleist

Postby Artemis » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:20 am

Yes, that is the intention. It only hits you when you come down.
Artemis
Rules Ref
Rules Ref
Shane-O

Postby Artemis » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:28 pm

The next stage of this is for me to write up various effects for cards but it occurred to me there may well be symptoms and effects which make players uncomfortable. If there is anything from the mental disorder spectrum you'd really not want included can you please say as I'd rather not cause unnecessary awkwardness if it can be helped. Either here. By pm or to rules@norestforthewicked.org.UK or to a different St if you're more comfortable with them passing it on.
Artemis
Rules Ref
Rules Ref
Shane-O

Postby NeillC » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:34 pm

If you allow people to redraw, or just pick from a list, that should get around the problem.
Lord Captain Calder Traherne
NeillC
Captain
Captain
Cal Traherne

Postby NeillC » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:15 pm

Does De-Tox have any effect on the System Shock mechanic?

And if not, should it?
Lord Captain Calder Traherne
NeillC
Captain
Captain
Cal Traherne

Postby horzabora » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:45 pm

No it does not.

There is an argument for it, however the system shock mechanic is intended as a balancing mechanic to large drug uses and so I am wary of touching it.
Rob Collins
Creative Director: Conflict Resolution
Lead Storyteller: Inquisition Chronicles
Storyteller: No Rest for the Wicked
"A good soldier obeys without question. A good officer commands without doubt."
horzabora
Storyteller
Storyteller
Creative Director

Postby Jodikat » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:25 pm

Can I clarify this, because at the event people told me that System Shock was caused by using drugs over your tolerance, but reading this it appears that everything - including psyker abilities, leader abilities etc - counts. Which means I almost certainly should have had system shock but thought I didn't because people were like 'it is drugs'.

This feels to me that it makes abilities like Navigators' Refresh and Revitalise power or the Regeneration mutation significantly less powerful, since in my head part of the reason one might take Regeneration instead of just using drugs is System Shock - otherwise it's worse than a Basic Seneschal power.
Major D. Summers, Captain of the Mortimer Dynasty Guard
Callsign: SPIDER
Jodikat
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
SPIDER

Return to Rules 2.0 Rewrites